Flow-metering Technical Officer, APS Level 5, National Measurement Institute - [Archived Advertisement]
Department of Industry, Science & Resources (View other jobs from this organisation)
Flow-metering Technical Officer, APS Level 5, National Measurement Institute
About the National Measurement Institute
We are the Australian Government’s national authority on measurement. We play an important role in the Australian economy by leading, maintaining and regulating Australia’s measurement system. We deliver world-class measurement products, advice and client services and administer the regulatory framework for measurement. Our national measurement standards are recognised internationally and we work to enhance and maintain these standards.
We value the different skills, knowledge and perspectives our employees bring. We’re committed to giving everyone an equal opportunity to participate, contribute and progress. Our values and behaviours centre on being, adaptable, innovative, accountable, strategic, inclusive and influential.
About the branch
The Physical Metrology branch leads the development, maintenance and dissemination of Australia’s peak physical measurement standards. We provide the traceability assurance that measurements made in Australia are accepted internationally. The branch is an active participant in international measurement forums. Through the delivery of a range of calibrations and other measurement services, branch staff share their expertise with Australian and international stakeholders. This includes support for research, process improvements, product optimisation, and better measurement practice across the economic landscape.
About the Flow team
The NMI’s Flow team consists of 5 members that develop and maintain Australia’s most accurate standards for measurement of volume, liquid and gas flow, delivering calibration and consultancy services from internationally recognised state-of-the-art laboratories. Our activities are accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities, as well as through regular review by international peers. The group provides key services to the health & safety, oil & gas, and aerospace industries. We have a wide range of R&D underway to rapidly evolving our capabilities to support emerging needs in the Hydrogen economy, Biomedical and Advanced Manufacturing industries.
The positions report to senior engineers who will provide you with the training and support to use the full range of your scientific and practical skills to deliver real outcomes and impact to Australian industry and the community.
Our ideal candidates
The positions are suited to new graduates, laboratory technicians and NATA-lab metrologists.
To be successful in these positions you will have:
- A science or engineering degree or equivalent laboratory experience.
- Practical experience with laboratory instrumentation, mechanical and basic electronics skills.
- Proficiency with the analysis of data and basic statistics, Word and Excel.
- Experience working collaboratively within a team environment.
- Experience preparing technical reports and communicating effectively.
- Have experience working independently and taking responsibility for the delivery of outcomes.
Main functions of the role
You will support and work closely with the team’s engineers to develop, maintain and operate NMI’s world-class calibration laboratories. You will contribute to delivery of scientific services under an ISO17025-accredited quality system, and to the team’s ongoing research to meet new and emerging national needs.
As a flow calibration technician you will use the full range of your science and practical skills to:
- Design and set-up of complex and automated flow-meter testing configurations and test & diagnostic instrumentation.
- Conducting flow-meter calibrations in compliance with safety and quality requirements.
- Analysing test results and preparing technical reports.
- Contributing to the team’s research and development programme, method development and validation studies across the team.
- Coordinating and conducting facility and assisting with diagnosing and solving equipment problems.
What’s in it for you?
NMI values continuous learning and is committed to supporting staff to reach their full potential.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Gain experience in the development and operation of complex automated heavy-engineering mechatronics systems, instrumentation and data acquisition.
- Gain experience and familiarity with the operation of a calibration laboratory under an ISO 17025-accredited quality system.
- Gain experience with liquid and gaseous flow engineering and associated technologies in the oil-and-gas, environmental, transport and manufacturing sectors.
- Work with leading researchers on the development of new flow measurement standards supporting Biomedical and Health industries, the Hydrogen-economy, cryogenic liquids such as Liquefied Natural Gas, and high-flow exhaust-stack emissions ensuring environmental outcomes.
- Gain familiarity with the traceability of flow measurements to Australia’s primary flow standards, alignment with international standards, and the calculation and propagation of measurement uncertainties.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
This position requires a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
NMI’s Flow laboratories operate at two sites in Sydney: Lindfield and Londonderry, and staff will be expected to work across both sites.
- Closing Date:
- 23 Dec 2022
- NSW - Lindfield
- $80,250 - $84,668
- Work Type:
- Full Time