DEPUTY DEAN/HEAD OF SCHOOL
PROFESSOR OR ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
FACULTY OF BUILT ENVIRONMENT
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
UNSW is currently implementing a ten year strategy to 2025 and our ambition for the next decade is nothing less than to establish UNSW as Australia’s global university. We aspire to this in the belief that a great university can make an enormous difference to the lives of people in Australia and around the world.
UNSW Built Environment (UNSW BE) is one of the largest built environment faculties in Australia and is internationally renowned for its comprehensive range of built environment degree programs and interdisciplinary education. UNSW BE focus is on research and education relevant to the design, planning and development of cities in the 21st Century. The Faculty’s strategic direction is based on a commitment to deliver high impact research and graduates equipped with the knowledge and practical skills required to realise sustainable urban environments of enduring cultural value.
The Faculty now encompasses all the programs in one School. We are seeking a new Deputy Dean/Head of School who is an inspiring academic leader and an outstanding scholar, who will shape and realise the strategic priorities and performance of the School. Reporting directly to the Dean, the Deputy Dean/Head of School works with the Faculty and University leadership teams to lead and manage the direction and overall academic performance, student education experience and community engagement of the School, Faculty and University.
This is an opportunity to develop, advance and implement the School’s strategic vision, provide leadership to academic and professional staff, oversee the financial management of the Faculty and participate in strategic and operational planning, space management and infrastructure development. And will:
- Act as Deputy Dean for Built Environment as required;
- Play a leading role in building on the School’s research achievements;
- Ensure the continued excellence of its teaching programs at all levels;
- Make a substantial contribution to the Faculty’s strategy and senior management team; and
- Work collegially with the Faculty and University leadership team to shape and realise the strategic priorities and performance of the university.
As an internationally respected scholar in a relevant field, with an established research and publication profile, your leadership experience in a university or comparable institution will enable you to bring to the role:
- An understanding and appreciation of the values and roles of a major research university operating in an international context;
- A breadth of academic vision and intellectual enthusiasm that encompasses the range of disciplines within the School;
- The ability to lead and motivate diverse groups across the School to high performance;
- Strong organisational skills to reinforce research capacity and performance, enhance the quality of student experience, and develop the Faculty’s reputation, within and beyond the University;
- The energy and drive to deal with the challenges and opportunities offered by an ambitious university; and
- The communication skills to represent UNSW in forums such as the Group of Eight.
This appointment offers an attractive remuneration package on a full-time five-year renewable position. The successful candidate will also hold a substantive continuing appointment either as a Professor or Associate Professor.
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff, and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
Please submit your resume and cover letter (systematically addressing the selection criteria) as soon as practicable. Please note all documentation must be in pdf format.
John Hayes, Talent Acquisition Consultant
t: +61 (02) 9385 2459
Applications close: 11:59pm, 18th June 2017