Senior Research Engineer
Senior Research Engineer
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Are you a Senior Research Engineer with expertise in designing and building continuous flow reactors?
- Lead critical research activities in the Advanced Materials and Processing program
- Join CSIRO - Australia's National Science and Innovation Agency
CSIRO’s Manufacturing research is based on multi-disciplinary scientific and engineering capabilities and uses world-class infrastructure. We partner with industry to develop innovative products and processes that allow Australian manufacturers to be globally competitive and environmentally sustainable.
The position of Senior Research Engineer will form part of a commercial project team within the Advanced Materials and Processing program and will work on an industry-funded project for the design, development, and construction of a reforming unit for generating hydrogen gas from a hydrogen carrier.
This role will lead critical research activities for designing, building, commissioning, and testing of a Demonstrator Scale hydrogen reformer unit. The reformer unit will utilise a hydrogen carrier molecule and generate hydrogen gas through catalytic processes. The Senior Research Engineer will work under the project leader, and be a part of a multidisciplinary project team, including engineers, chemists, materials scientists and other peers.
Your duties will include:
- Leading staff and influencing other internal and external partners to achieve the project’s goals and promote the Business Unit in external forums.
- Identifying and adapting to changes in client needs and market changes.
- Developing challenging but realistic research plans and negotiating and managing resource requirements with research managers or clients.
- Taking responsibility for smaller research projects or elements of larger projects within and/or across Business Units.
- Assisting other research chemists in planning and (if necessary) performing chemical reactions on scale, including separation and purification in order to meet engineering designs.
- Acting as a trusted advisor, utilising knowledge of the clients’ business and understanding of their underlying needs.
- Providing supervision and coaching to students and technical staff, as necessary.
- Working collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team to carry out tasks in support of CSIRO’s scientific objectives.
Location: Clayton, VIC
Salary: AU$117,917– AU$138,176 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term up to 3 years / Full-time
To be considered you will need:
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential criteria can be appointed.
- A M.Eng. or Ph.D. in a relevant field such as Chemical Engineering with minimum 5 years relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- Demonstrated track record of using continuous flow processing and liquid/gas and gas-phase processing.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare P&IDs and other engineering drawings for chemical processes.
- Demonstrated experience and track record of chemical processes on pilot-/production-scale, including design, building and commissioning hydrogen gas reforming units.
- Experience in the use of catalysis, e.g., for the generation of hydrogen.
- Demonstrated use of Computer Aided Design (CAD) software for the design of chemical reactor apparatus.
- Knowledge and use of characterization and analysis techniques used in the chemicals industry. For example, but not limited to, NMR, IR, mass spectrometry, Raman, UV, ELS, HPLC, GC.
- A demonstrated publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to all candidates.
Appointment to this role is subject to the provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
To enter a CSIRO site, CSIRO will require you to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (or show a valid medical exemption from vaccination). If you are unable to meet this requirement, then you must return a negative result on a Rapid Antigen Test (within 48 hours prior to attending site) and wear a face mask whilst on the CSIRO site. These requirements apply if you are attending a CSIRO site as part of a recruitment process.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Monday 10th October 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 10 Oct 2022
- VIC - Clayton
- AU$117,917– AU$138,176 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: