Future Science Platform Director - Advanced Engineering Biology - [Archived Advertisement]
Future Science Platform Director - Advanced Engineering Biology
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Rapidly advance new biotechnology delivery through streamlined molecular design & engineering tools, highly efficient bioproduction systems and data-driven decision-making tools
- Deliver innovative solutions that tackle the emerging challenges in Advanced Engineering Biology
- Drive impact through partnerships with industry, Government, Australian & International innovation networks
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) is one of the world’s largest and most successful publicly funded research and development organisations that delivers world-class science and outcome-focused research that generates economic, environmental, and social benefits for Australia in a global context.
CSIRO Future Science Platforms (FSPs) address future scientific challenges for Australia. They are an investment in science that underpins innovation that has the potential to help (re)invent and create new industries. FSPs support research teams that integrate science and delivery over the long term, looking to the future science needs of CSIRO and Australia, along with our external partners and stakeholders.
Engineering Biology has the potential to unlock a new BioEconomy, delivering 50,000 new jobs and $30 Billion a year to Australian economy, as well as significant positive environmental and social outcomes. Building on the success of the Synthetic Biology FSP, the newly formed Advanced Engineering Biology FSP will provide a future science and technology platform that will supercharge the speed of novel biotechnology delivery through streamlined, molecular design & engineering tools, highly efficient bioproduction systems and data-driven decision-making tools. These new science and technology platform will deliver innovative solutions that tackle the emerging national and international challenges of food security, health & wellbeing, and carbon-neutral future industries and circular economies.
As the Leader of the Advanced Engineering Biology FSP, you will coordinate an inter- and trans- disciplinary program of fundamental (‘Horizon 3’) research across multiple CSIRO Business Units and facilities, including the CSIRO BioFoundry, a transformative capability for high throughput biodesign and engineering.
You will be an impact driven, entrepreneurial and collaborative science leader who can develop and manage an exciting portfolio of science across several application domains and multiple Business Units and promote collaboration across the science portfolio to bring the best capability together to address the needs of the FSP.
Your duties will include:
- Impact Science Leadership: Provide leadership to the FSP to generate excellent science to create impact on the economy and environment; set the R&D strategy; lead a portfolio of research projects to deliver capability & IP to CSIRO, customers & stakeholders; influence and collaborate across the organisation and the greater innovation system.
- Engagement & Partnerships: Build strategic relationships with national and international stakeholders; lead the production of quality scientific papers for publication and/or presentation; communicate effectively and respectfully with staff, customers and partners in the interest of good practice, collaboration, and enhancing CSIRO’s reputation.
- Capability Leadership: Build and support research capability and professional development of scientists; attract, develop and support world class talent; resource planning; build effective teams aligned with the science platform; strive for ‘Zero Harm’ (physical and psychological) and actively promote a healthy, safe and environmentally sustainable workplace.
- Resource Leadership: Lead and manage the Program’s financial resources, people, infrastructure and other assets; ensure effective management of physical infrastructure and resources in an environmentally sustainable way; ensure best practice governance, and management of commercial activities and intellectual property in the platform.
Location: Brisbane, Canberra or Melbourne preferred. Other capital cities may be considered.
Salary: Attractive salary package offered
Tenure: Specified term of 4 years
To be considered you will need:
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Engineering Biology, Biological Data Science or equivalent in a relevant field, combined with significant experience in an area relevant to biological engineering or biobased production systems research.
- Established reputation and credibility in the biological sciences domain with evidence of effective world?class science, through publication, research and/or innovation leadership.
- Evidence of successful development, initiation, and leadership of scientific research.
- Demonstrated ability to empower and develop world class talent and to promote wellbeing and foster creativity in and across multidisciplinary teams.
- Evidence of strong engagement skills and strategic relationship management that grows collaboration, new research partnerships and develops opportunities for future outcomes.
- Demonstrated knowledge/understanding of scientific and logistical challenges associated with the building of a platform area of new research.
CSIRO is a values-based organisation. In your application and at interview you will need to demonstrate behaviours aligned to our values of:
- People First
- Further Together
- Making it Real
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to all candidates. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
As part of their application, candidates are requested to provide the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter – outlining the motivation and relevant capabilities and experience you could bring to this role. This document should not be longer than two pages.
- Contact details for three Referees – Referees will only be contacted after prior consultation with the candidate. It is the candidate's responsibility to ensure that their referees are willing to provide reports when contacted by CSIRO.
- Date of commencement – An indication of the earliest date on which the candidate could commence in the position.
15 June 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 15 Jun 2022
- Attractive salary package offered
- Work Type:
- Full Time