Senior Experimental Scientist - [Archived Advertisement]
Senior Experimental Scientist
Acknowledgment of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation.
- Use your experimental & project management skills to transform the Ti/V space
- Collaborate with an industry-leading organisation & work on exciting projects
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s National Science Agency – in an ongoing role!
CSIRO Mineral Resources unit has an excellent opportunity for a motivated Senior Experimental Scientist to bring their diversity of thought, ideas, and lived experiences to our niche ‘Base Metals’ team.
The Senior Experimental Scientist will work with one of CSIRO’s long-standing industry partners, and play a key role in managing a range of projects within the Titanium–Vanadium (Ti/V) space, from planning to execution. You will work autonomously and as part of a diverse and multi-disciplinary team with industry and research specialists, to apply your experimental knowledge and skills to solve industry-specific base metals research or technological problems in Australia, while also supporting a science landscape in respectful partnership with Indigenous Australia.
Your duties will include:
- Leading projects where needed, managing yourself and others to fulfil existing obligations and expected future projects focused on the recovery of vanadium, iron and titanium from titanomagnetites.
- Performing as shift supervisor on various pilot plant operations and offering specialised input into the design and safe operation of these as needed.
- Designing, planning and safely undertaking experiments, laboratory analysis & technology development activities using a range of techniques, often requiring multi-tasking abilities.
- Developing novel techniques to produce enhanced results, providing researchers with new or improved approaches to research or technological problems.
- Managing teams and/or collaborating with staff from other teams in meeting their goals as required.
- Liaising with clients, initiating and maintaining collaborative relationships with external researchers and experts, managing contracts and transferring technology to industry.
- Participating in project scoping and planning, making significant contributions to the research or technological direction, and advising on the level & type of services provided.
Location: Waterford, WA (Whadjuk Noongar Country)
Salary: AU$102k – AU$111k pa plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in Chemistry, Metallurgy, Mineral Processing or Engineering.
- Significant hands-on experience in the mining industry and/or mining-related research.
- Experience in project management, including collaborating with & guiding multidisciplinary teams, liaising with clients, and problem solving.
- Pilot plant experience, including experience as a metallurgical shift supervisor.
- Ability to maintain health & safety requirements while working in a hazardous environment.
- Scientific/technical competency in the areas of planning and managing reductive roasting, pressure leaching, acidic/high-temperature digestion operations.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to apply for this role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident currently residing in Australia.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 October 2021, 11:00pm AEST/ADST
- Closing Date:
- 31 Oct 2021
- WA - Waterford
- AU$102k – AU$111k pa plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Mining & Resources