Gympie is at the heart of a rapidly expanding region which stretches from rural valleys in the west to the Cooloola Coast, gateway to spectacular Fraser Island. Enjoy the rural delights of the picturesque Mary Valley, the history of Gympie and the broad western area, home to country festivals and a strong agricultural base. For someone seeking a high quality of life, the region offers a unique opportunity. You could be part of a forward thinking local government organisation with a commitment to continuously improving the services it provides to its 50,000 residents, in one of the most diverse locations in Queensland.
The CBD of Gympie is the central hub to the Gympie region, which is two hours north of Brisbane and in close proximity to the Sunshine and Fraser coasts. Council offices are located in Gympie's town centre close to shopping, cafes and parking.
Gympie Regional Council's Water Business Unit
Gympie Regional Council provides water and sewerage services to over 30,000 residents, and has recently embarked on a major reform program to implement and develop a contemporary customer focussed water business unit. As such, unique and exciting opportunities exist for the experienced water business professional with a proven track record in the industry to lead the process and guide the goals and functions of this Council driven enterprise from its inception to new heights. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to build a modern water and sewerage business which is customer focused and underpinned by strong and sustainable business principles.
Senior Planning Engineer
Remuneration: Salary range from $88,701 to $94,166 per annum plus 13% superannuation
Closing Date: Sunday 28 January 2018 at 5.00pm AEST
No late applications will be accepted. Only applications received via Council's online application system will be considered. Unsolicited applications from agencies will not be considered.
This role is ideal for an experienced qualified Engineer who thrives in an innovative and challenging environment. Your extensive experience in the water industry within a planning environment will assist you in bringing our visions to light.
Your focus will be to ensure that assigned planning projects are completed efficiently and effectively to meet Water Business Unit’s Strategic priorities and programs. Your excellent report writing skills and attention to detail will be invaluable, as you partner with other areas of the business to influence outcomes and provide advice and guidance.
Reporting to the Manager Strategic Planning, as an experienced professional in your field of expertise, you will utilise your well developed communication skills to liaise with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, to provide innovative solutions in a commercially, environmentally and socially sustainable manner.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Complete planning strategies, master and detailed planning, emergent planning investigations and provision of advice employing contemporary planning knowledge and innovative solutions in a commercially, environmentally and socially sustainable manner.
- Review water and sewerage components of Council’s Local Government Infrastructure Planning (LGIP) in partnership with Council’s Planning and Development Directorate.
- Develop, calibrate and maintain hydraulic network modelling of water and sewerage systems and the provision of advice to satisfy Water Business Unit’s water and sewerage system performance Service Level Obligations.
- Develop and undertake necessary field monitoring programs in partnership with Operations & Maintenance Branch and calibrate network models in order to provide reliable intelligence on system performance.
- Assess development applications and conditioning thereof in respect of water and sewerage infrastructure requirements and design standards.
- Ensure all work undertaken complies with Local and State Government Policies and relevant legislations.
- Participate within a team of professionals and asset operators to deliver high quality results in a working environment where safety is considered a high priority.
What we are looking for
For this unique opportunity, we need a candidate who can provide:
- Formal tertiary degree qualifications in Civil or Environmental Engineering fields.
- Experience in development and implementation of water and sewerage infrastructure strategies, strategic landuse & infrastructure planning, master planning and feasibility studies/detailed planning.
- Experience in water and sewerage network modelling, model calibration and interpretation of modelling results to assess the capacity of existing network and future upgrade requirements using industry standard network modelling software.
- Experience in the strategic and tactical asset management including development of Asset Management Plans, Asset Class Plans, capital programming and prioritisation.
- Development assessment and approvals for water and sewerage infrastructure, new connections, donated assets and build-over assets.
- Capital programming and governance for growth, renewal, compliance and improvement projects. Preparation of project briefs and business cases for programmed projects.
- Highly developed and demonstrated skills in written and oral communication.
How to apply
Visit www.gympie.qld.gov.au. Click on the Jobs at Council menu link, then click on the corresponding job number to access the online application process.