Fire Assessments Consultant/Engineer
Fire Assessments Consultant/Engineer
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs. View our Child Safe Policy.
- Provide trusted fire-resistance technical consulting services to industry
- Play a key client-focussed role in CSIRO Fire Testing and Assessment group
- Great opportunity to progress your career within a well-regarded organisation!
Do you have a background in consulting & being a subject matter expert for fire resistance assessments? If so, this exciting ongoing opportunity within our ‘Fire Testing and Assessments’ group could be the next career step you are looking for!
CSIRO Fire Testing Services combines expertise and full-scale fire test capabilities to simulate a wide range of fire scenarios, providing a unique fire research, consulting and testing facility to industry. Registered by the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA), our testing facilities are designed and equipped to conduct a wide range of fire tests based on Australian, international, and other standards. The group also provides services in interpretation of results, assessing conformity with specification and standards, research & development, and construction in bushfire-prone areas.
As a Fire Assessments Consultant, you will have a key customer-focussed role, directly liaising with our commercial clients in the building infrastructure sector, as well as coordinating with the fire testing teams. You will apply your stakeholder management skills to liaise with fire testing staff and laboratories to ensure that fire testings are conducted in line with client requirements and the relevant test standards, as well as draw on your well-developed domain knowledge to efficiently analyse & interpret the testing performance results to deliver comprehensive technical reports and consulting services.
At CSIRO, we are committed to providing you with the right platforms for professional development and supporting your career growth. So, if you take pride in your client management skills, and your technical expertise and ability to act as a ‘trusted advisor’, we would love to hear from you!
Your duties will include:
- Providing consulting services pertaining to the technical assessment of building systems under fire conditions.
- Delivering written technical assessments on the likely performance of fire protection systems to comply with the Deemed to Satisfy provisions of the BCA and International codes.
- Providing written performance-based assessments on the performance of fire protection systems to comply with the performance requirements of the BCA (NCC), based on referenced test standards, test data, engineering judgement and calculations.
- Having direct responsibility for client liaison on technical matters.
- Liaising with the fire testing team to assist in the determination of client requirements, data analysis and technical reporting in accordance with Australian and International fire test standards.
- Assisting the Team Leader with project delivery outcomes and timeframes within budget expectations.
Location: Sydney (North Ryde), NSW
Salary: AU$89K – AU$101K pa + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite; Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A tertiary qualification in a relevant Engineering or Science field, related to the performance of materials under elevated temperatures, (e.g., Structural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Material Science qualifications), and/or relevant work experience in a similar industry.
- Strong communication skills and writing of detailed technical reports and assessments for commercial clients, and an ability to create & foster an environment of cooperation between teams.
- Relevant knowledge of the Building Code of Australia (NCC) Deemed to satisfy provisions relating to the fire resistance of building elements and systems.
- Relevant knowledge of Australian and International fire testing standards, assessment guidelines and related fire design standards.
- Ability to operate in commercial environments subjected to change and external constraints.
- At least 2 years of relevant technical consulting experience of building fire resistance.
- Project management experience.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
To be eligible to apply for this position, you must either be an Australian Citizen, a New Zealand Citizen, or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs, whether we are undertaking research, engaging with the public or nurturing future scientists in person or online. Source – CSIRO Child Safe policy 2023
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online, and provide a detailed cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role. Please note that we strongly encourage you to respond to each of the selection criteria in detail, and attach it to your cover letter as one document.
22 October 2023, 11:00pm AEDT
We strongly encourage you to apply early as we will be reviewing applications as they come through. CSIRO reserves the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date if required.
- Closing Date:
- 22 Oct 2023
- NSW - North Ryde
- AU$89K – AU$101K pa + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: