RFI and EMC Engineer - SKA-Low Telescope - [Archived Advertisement]
RFI and EMC Engineer - SKA-Low Telescope
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs. View our Child Safe Policy.
The SKA Observatory (SKAO) is a next-generation radio astronomy facility that will revolutionise our understanding of the Universe and the laws of fundamental physics. Enabled by cutting-edge technology, it promises to have a major impact on society, in science and beyond.
In Australia, the SKAO is collaborating with CSIRO to operate and support the construction of the low frequency telescope (SKA-Low) in remote Western Australia on Wajarri Yamaji Country.
The Traditional Owners and native title holders, the Wajarri Yamaji, have gifted CSIRO with the traditional name Inyarrimanha Ilgari Bundara for the CSIRO Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory, home to the SKA-Low telescope. The traditional name means ‘sharing sky and stars’ in the Wajarri language.
The RFI and EMC Engineer will form part of the SKA-Low Operations team based at the Engineering Operations Centre (EOC) in Geraldton, Western Australia. The role will require regular work at Inyarrimanha Ilgari Bundara, the CSIRO Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory. The RFI and EMC Engineer will focus strongly on testing and qualification of equipment and infrastructure that will be deployed to the SKA-Low site, as well as the deployment, maintenance and continuous upgrades of RFI monitoring stations related to the SKA-Low Telescope.
Your duties will include:
- Work closely with the Senior RFI & EMC Engineer and CSIRO RFI Compliance team members to ensure SKA compliance to the Site RFI and EMC Standards.
- RFI Qualification of SKA-LOW and ancillary hardware/equipment: Writing of RFI Qualification Test Procedure documents and Qualification Test Reports.
- Assist with the development, implementation, and operation of RFI monitoring hardware and software systems. This includes measurements and data analysis using both fixed and mobile monitoring infrastructure, as well as characterising and identifying RFI emitters.
- Participate and give updates during weekly SKA-Low RFI & EMC team discussions.
- Participate in regular meetings with SKAO Global HQ RFI Working Group where SKA-Low RFI & EMC team-related issues, activities and compliance management are discussed.
Location: Geraldton, Western Australia
Salary: AU$105,806 - AU$114,500 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite - Full Time, Part Time or Job Share
To be considered you will need:
Under CSIRO policy only those who are able to demonstrate how they can meet the essential criteria may be appointed.
- A bachelor's degree in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline with at least 3 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Demonstrated understanding of commissioning and testing as well as compliance and verification processes used within the field of RFI and EMC.
- Experience in at least one of the following, and a clear understanding of the principles of the remainder:
- RFI/EMI Shielding techniques.
- Electromagnetic propagation modelling as applicable to RFI/EMI.
- Hands on experience with RFI/EMI and/or EMC measurement equipment and subsequent data analysis.
- Proven ability to use computers as planning and analysis tools, preferably with some experience in the use of currently available RFI/EMI related software.
- Experience with programming languages such as Python, Octave (Linux), Matlab (Windows), etc
- Excellent interpersonal skills for dealing with a wide range of people, including the ability to successfully transfer technical knowledge and explain key concepts.
- Post-graduate qualification in a directly related discipline.
- Experience with RFI and EMC directly related to the field of radio astronomy.
- Experience with developing and building general or RF electronic hardware
- Professional development (recognised CPD courses) in fields relevant to RFI/EMI and/or EMC control and management.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs, whether we are undertaking research, engaging with the public or nurturing future scientists in person or online. Source – CSIRO Child Safe policy 2023
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please apply on-line providing your CV and a Cover Letter clearly addressing the essential criteria of this role and your motivation for applying. Under CSIRO policy, only those who can demonstrate how they meet the essential criteria may be eligible for appointment to this role.
18 June 2023, 11:59pm AWST
- Closing Date:
- 18 Jun 2023
- WA - Geraldton
- AU$105,806 - AU$114,500 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time