Research Scientist in Quantum Software Engineering - [Archived Advertisement]
Research Scientist in Quantum Software Engineering
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Join CSIRO - Australia's National Science and Innovation Agency!
- Flexible work arrangements! Mix of home and office.
- Collaborative, flexible, innovative workplace that values you and your career development
In your role as the Research Scientist staff, you would be conducting innovative research leading to scientific achievements that are aligned with CSIRO’s strategies. The Research Scientist may be engaged in scientific activity ranging from fundamental research to the investigation of specific industry or community problems. The Research Scientist will have the opportunity to build and maintain networks, play a lead role in securing project funds, provide scientific leadership and pursue new ideas and approaches that create new concepts.
As part of the SE4AI research team, the scientist in this position is expected to conduct research and prototype development relevant to the quantum system development lifecycle, working together with the Quantum team in DSS group.
The key duties are to create software engineering methods, specifically requirements, co-design with conventional software computing and software testing aligned with Data61’s research strategies in novel and practical ways, collaborate with colleagues and customers, and keep a healthy and safe work environment. The deliverables of this role are research-driven by impacts, including high-quality scientific papers, technical reports, and usable systems for customers or the community.
Ideally, the scientist has the research background and skills in the software engineering research field, with high-quality papers published in major software engineering conferences and journals, with the capability of proposing new ideas and prototype development.
Your duties will include:
- Liaise with clients to determine their needs and take personal responsibility for client satisfaction.
- Under limited direction, assist in the planning and preparation of research proposals and carry out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Present results in a meaningful format, prepare reports for clients and/or write research papers for publication.
- Address problems promptly and in a constructive manner, selecting the most profitable lines of attack upon a problem, preparing detailed design proposals and experimental protocols.
- Undertake in experimental and/or observational research activities, often requiring the supervision and/or training of others to ensure experiments are established in accordance with research design, or as required.
- Draw on professional expertise, knowledge of other disciplines and research experience, recognise opportunities for innovation and generate new theoretical perspectives by pursuing new ideas/approaches and networking with research colleagues across a range of disciplines
Location: Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra and Melbourne.
Salary: AU$102,724 - AU$111,165 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD in a relevant field such as software engineering or computer science.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions with publications in top tier software engineering or related venues.
- Demonstrated track record in high quality research with impactful outcomes.
- Experience to work effectively in a research team and provide supervision and mentoring to research students.
- Demonstrated high level of oral and written communication skills with the ability to represent Data61 research externally to both academia, government and industry.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
To enter a CSIRO site, CSIRO will require you to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (or show a valid medical exemption from vaccination). If you are unable to meet this requirement, then you must return a negative result on a Rapid Antigen Test (within 48 hours prior to attending site) and wear a face mask whilst on the CSIRO site. These requirements apply if you are attending a CSIRO site as part of a recruitment process.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
01st August 2023, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 01 Aug 2023
- AU$102,724 - AU$111,165 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: