Senior Research Scientist Building Physics - [Archived Advertisement]
Senior Research Scientist Building Physics
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Are you a research scientist with expertise in building physics?
- Rare opportunity to drive improvements in the Australian built environment.
- Join CSIRO Energy and make a difference!
The role of Research Project staff in CSIRO is to collaborate in scientific and technological activities with other research staff usually by assisting with detailed planning, undertaking or assisting with experimental, observational or technology development work, and in carrying out the more practical aspects of the work. At senior levels, Research Projects staff may be involved in providing consulting services, science and technology management and/or industry liaison.
CSIRO has a 60+ year history of developing algorithms to describe the movement of heat through building elements. This work has led CSIRO’s AccuRate software to become the benchmark tool for the Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme (NatHERS). NatHERS underpins $50 billion in residential construction activity per year. AccuRate is underpinned by a thermal modelling engine called Chenath.
CSIRO Energy is seeking a building physics expert to complement other comfort and software focussed staff. The role is a permanent, ongoing role with the potential for significant long-term career progression. The role will be mentored and supported for the first two years by existing building physics experts before taking the lead on the development of the Chenath thermal physics engine development.
We are looking for a highly motivated, mid-career researcher, who wants a long-term career in residential building physics and the opportunity to contribute meaningfully to improving the Australian built environment. This is a very rare opportunity to make real change.
Your duties will include:
- Apply specialist expertise to solve complex problems within a discipline or across a diverse range of projects.
- Be responsible for activities such as developing and delivering novel technologies, developing and implementing project plans, analysing, validating and reporting results within the constraints of various project plans.
- Extend existing scientific knowledge of experimental design or digital experiences via achievements which facilitate the development of new perspectives in a field, or fields of, research and/or technology.
- Address ill-defined problems and make critical choices between options that require knowledge of the most recent scientific and/or technological developments or novel methodologies.
- Maintain an awareness of trends in research, technology and cross-functional technological/scientific innovations to target opportunities for uptake of research or technology.
- Initiate projects in consultation with clients or CSIRO project teams and secure necessary resources.
- Work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team to carry out tasks in support of CSIRO’s scientific objectives.
- Other duties as directed.
Location: Clayton, VIC preferred. Newcastle, NSW may be considered.
Salary: AU$121,455 - AU$142,321 per annum plus up to 15.4% superannuation.
Tenure: Indefinite / Full-time.
To be considered you will need:
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential criteria can be appointed.
- A PhD in building thermal physics or similar.
- A history of peer-reviewed publications.
- A detailed understanding of energy modelling and modelling tools for residential buildings.
- Familiarity with programming and software development, particularly in one or more of Fortran, C++ and .net and the demonstrated ability to pick up new software languages.
- A demonstrated ability to manage complex research and/or software development projects.
- A clear understanding of the Australian residential built environment including regulatory frameworks, energy efficiency regulations and major stakeholders.
- Demonstrated desire to pursue a career in the field of built environment sustainability.
- Deep knowledge of Fortran or C++, C# or python.
- Demonstrated understanding of contemporary software development practises including coding, documentation, record keeping, unit and functional testing etc.
- Building modelling experience in the residential and commercial sectors.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Sunday 11th June 2023, 11:00pm AEDT.
- Closing Date:
- 11 Jun 2023
VIC - Clayton
NSW - Clayton
- AU$121,455 - AU$142,321 per annum plus up to 15.4% superannuation.
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Environmentally Sustainable Design (ESD)