Senior Electrical Power Systems Researcher - [Archived Advertisement]
Senior Electrical Power Systems Researcher
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Contribute to setting research priorities for Australia’s power systems including grid challenges associated with renewable energy integration
- Applied research in electrical power systems and energy network modelling, simulation and control
- Join Australia’s innovation catalyst! Create impact that benefits the lives of all Australians
CSIRO is Australia’s National Science Agency and is one of the world’s largest and most successful publicly funded research and development organisations. We deliver world-class science and outcome-focused research that generates economic, environmental, and social benefits for Australia in a global context. We have improved the lives of many around the world through our research and developments including WiFi, the Hendra virus vaccine, polymer banknotes, extended wear contact lenses, Aerogard and the Total Wellbeing Diet.
As we move towards a net zero emissions future, the four key components of the energy sector — electricity, industry, transport and exports — are evolving rapidly. There is a huge body of work needed across the industry over the next 10 years. This will require a significant increase in the depth and breadth of power system engineering expertise both in academia and industry. Our work is helping build the foundation for this through the provision of reliable, actionable, evidence-based research.
As the Senior Electrical Power Systems Research Engineer, you will be required to contribute to applied research activities in electrical power systems and energy network modelling and control, working with a range of partners to take the latest optimisation, simulation and analytical techniques to impact the growth of Australia’s electricity system. You will have the opportunity to build and maintain international networks of research collaborators and deployment partners and pursue new ideas and approaches that create new concepts.
The Power Systems team have several new opportunities available, including Electrical Power Systems Research Engineers at various levels (Engineer, Senior and Principal Engineer) and a Power Systems Director role. Please visit the CSIRO website for more information on the vacancies or to learn more about Australia's Global Power System Transformation (G-PST) Research Roadmap. If you meet most of the criteria for one of these roles, we encourage you to apply as we intend to assess the roles together to build a complementary and diverse team.
Your duties will include:
- Conduct modelling and simulation studies of Australia’s current and next-generation electricity generation, transmission and distribution systems (in near real-time and longer-term timeframes).
- Develop approaches and techniques for solving grid challenges associated with renewable energy integration, managing battery systems or distributed energy resources. Deploy and test these techniques in real-world, large scale deployments.
- Contribute to setting priorities and new directions in research for Australia’s power systems including the grid challenges associated with renewable energy integration.
A focus of these positions will be the multi-year program Global Power Systems Transformation. The successful candidate will be heavily engaged in delivering this work.
- Interact and collaborate with diverse industrial and research partners, including network service providers, universities, energy market and power system operators, start-up companies, and others.
- Under limited direction, assist in the planning and preparation of research proposals and carry out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Present results in a meaningful format, prepare reports for clients and/or write scientific papers for publication.
Location: Newcastle, NSW Preferred. Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth or other sites with an Energy team presence may be considered.
Salary: AU$121k – AU$142k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or PhD or equivalent relevant work experience in Engineering, Mathematics, or related fields, with a focus on power system engineering, modelling, planning, optimisation or control
- An enthusiasm for applied research solving current problems for commercial partners.
- Experience in electrical generation/distribution/transmission system modelling, planning, optimisation or control.
- Experience planning and leading successful research projects, including collaborations between academia and industry and experience supervising project teams and junior staff is desirable.
- Experience in one or more of the nine research topic areas identified in the CSIRO GPST Roadmap for Australia is highly regarded.
- Previous experience with power system modelling tools, such as SINCAL, PowerFactory, OpenDSS, PSCAD and with programming/analysis tools, such as Python, Matlab, R, or Julia PowerModels is desirable.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents and international candidates. Visa sponsorship may be provided to the successful candidate if required. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
25 April 2023, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 25 Apr 2023
- AU$121k – AU$142k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: