Principal Electrical Power Systems Researcher - [Archived Advertisement]
Principal Electrical Power Systems Researcher
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Develop and implement a program of research to tackle large-scale power systems challenges
- Play a pivotal role in CSIRO’s contribution to the Global Power Systems Transformation
- Lead and collaborate with industry, government and the community to make a real-world difference
CSIRO is Australia’s National Science Agency and is one of the world’s largest and most successful publicly funded research and development organisations. We deliver world-class science and outcome-focused research that generates economic, environmental, and social benefits for Australia in a global context. We have improved the lives of many around the world through our research and developments including Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Technology, WiFi, the Hendra virus vaccine, polymer banknotes, extended wear contact lenses, Aerogard and the Total Wellbeing Diet.
As we move towards a net zero emissions future, the four key components of the energy sector — electricity, industry, transport and exports — are evolving rapidly. There is a huge body of work needed across the industry over the next 10 years. This will require a significant increase in the depth and breadth of power system engineering expertise both in academia and industry. CSIRO’s work is helping build the foundation for this through the provision of reliable, actionable, evidence-based research.
As the Principal Electrical Power Systems Researcher You will be required to lead applied research activities in electrical power systems and energy network modelling and control, working with a range of partners to take the latest optimisation, simulation and analytical techniques to impact the growth of Australia’s electricity system. You will have the opportunity to build and maintain international networks of research collaborators and deployment partners, play a lead role in securing project funds, and pursue new ideas and approaches that create new concepts.
The Power Systems team have several new opportunities available, including Electrical Power Systems Research Engineers at various levels (Engineer, Senior and Principal Engineer) and a Power Systems Director role. Please visit the CSIRO website for more information on the vacancies or to learn more about Australia's Global Power System Transformation (G-PST) Research Roadmap. If you meet most of the criteria for one of these roles, we encourage you to apply as we intend to assess the roles together to build a complementary and diverse team.
Your duties will include:
- Initiate and lead collaboration with diverse industrial and research partners, including network service providers, universities, energy market operators, regulators and technology providers.
- Develop and implement a program of research to tackle the open challenges in the area of large-scale power systems.
A focus of these positions will be the multi-year program Global Power Systems Transformation. The successful candidate will be heavily engaged in delivering this work.
- Develop intellectual property in the field of power systems engineering.
- Lead and mentor junior research staff.
- Combine the delivery of pragmatic solutions needed by industry project work with the extraction of valuable scientific contributions that advance our research strategy.
- Expose our research and its outcomes to clients and the scientific community through oral presentations, webinars and written technical reports and scientific papers.
- Advise policy makers and inform and share knowledge with non-scientific audiences.
Location: Newcastle, NSW preferred. Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane or other sites with an Energy team presence may be considered.
Salary: AU$146k – AU$162k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree and PhD or equivalent relevant work experience in Engineering, Mathematics or related fields, with a focus on power systems engineering.
- Experience in running or managing electrical generation/distribution/transmission simulation studies, including leading successful collaborations and/or creating simulation data sets from first principles.
- A strong record of science innovation as evident through quality publications, IP generation, or commercialisation.
- History of developing and leading successful research proposals, including collaborations across industry/academia.
- Successful delivery of projects, working with multidisciplinary teams, and mentoring junior engineers or research staff.
- Experience in running or managing electrical generation/distribution/transmission simulation studies, including creating simulation data sets from first principles.
- Multi-year experience with industry exposure in one or more of the following fields: power system planning (transmission or distribution); power system operation; electromechanical and/or electromagnetic transient simulation of power systems, or design of electronic power converters.
- Experience in any of the following: OpenDSS, algorithms for solving systems of differential algebraic equations, and power system planning in collaboration with a system operator.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents and international candidates. Visa sponsorship may be provided to the successful candidate if required. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
25 April 2023, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 25 Apr 2023
- AU$146k – AU$162k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: