CBIS Manager - ACDP
CBIS Manager - ACDP
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Join team CSIRO and help make the impossible possible!
- Manage operational site support to allow world class science to occur!
- Supportive work environment
This role will see you based at The Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), which is the national animal health diagnostic, research and bio-containment facility, which plays a vital role in maintaining Australia's capability to quickly diagnose exotic and emergency animal diseases. ACDP is a national facility operated by CSIRO. Continued performance of the complex containment systems is vital to the safe conduct of scientific work and the reputation of the laboratory in scientific, rural and political communities which is heavily dependent upon a comprehensive and carefully conducted maintenance program.
Your role will be to manage the provision of professional engineering and technical support services for minor capital improvement, maintenance and operational activities. You will possess a degree in an appropriate engineering discipline, have excellent verbal communication and documentation writing skills, be conversant with biological containment engineering principles, possess a sound understanding of plant diagnostic and maintenance methods and demonstrate a strong commitment to safe working practices. Whilst also possessing excellent technical and personnel leadership capabilities, along with strong collaborative qualities.
Reporting to the Executive Manager – Operations, you will be empowered to manage the day-to-day business of your staff, managing their activities within the available budget allocated from the Executive Manager. As well as being the primary point of contact with key stakeholders, HSE (Health, Safety and Environment) and IM&T (Information Management & Technology).
Why not join team CSIRO and support world class science to operate seamlessly 24/07, apply today!
Your duties will include:
- Lead a team of diverse individuals and foster an environment that encourages innovative ideas and provides support for the advancement of emerging skills and talent development.
- In conjunction with the other State Managers, contribute and collaborate actively in embedding consistent practices across the nation supporting the CBIS Service Charter, and encouraging continuous improvement in service delivery to customers.
- Build and maintain strong working and productive relationships with key stakeholders, influencing change without direct line control. Hold the primary relationship with site leaders, science group leaders, local HSE and IM&T staff and participate on site leadership committees and interface with the Research Operations Managers.
- Understand and balance the needs of the Science Business Units and CSIRO Strategy and add value to their business by providing effective and efficient delivery of property services.
- Ensure engineering systems comply with the relevant Australian Standards and Regulations, specifically including those relevant to Microbiological Laboratories. Various areas of the facility are required to meet regulations set by Department of Agriculture (AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service)), the Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (OGTR), and regulations specific to Security Sensitive Biological Agents (SSBAs).
- Plan, in consultation with site leader and CBIS Coordinator Projects, the oversight and delivery of minor capital works and general projects within agreed scope and budget.
- Annual budget development, management, and reporting. Develop and deliver budget management reporting which provides meaningful analysis and commentary on staffing, plant and equipment performance, KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) and team objectives.
- Possess knowledge and relevant experience of all areas of property management, site services such as Stores, Receptions, Fleet Management where relevant, procurement and how these functions integrate.
- Lead a team of technicians, operators, stores and reception staff to ensure the operation of the site to provide 24/7 laboratory capability.
Location: Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), Geelong
Salary: AU$146,207 - AU$161,767 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Demonstrable experience in a Technical Leadership Role, ideally in a facilities management setting.
- Tertiary qualifications in an engineering discipline are highly regarded.
- Demonstrated well developed team leadership skills with strong interpersonal skills (negotiating, mentoring, coaching, training and reporting writing) to manage the operations of a customer focused Specialist Team engaged in the monitoring, control, security and upkeep of a complex facility.
- Demonstrated high level technical knowledge and understanding of building and related engineering trades and services, including essential skills, relevant to the safe and sustainable operation of complex facilities.
- Technical Leadership qualities in leading Technical Change to complex facilities; A logical and analytical approach to problem solving; Planning and organisational skills.
- Interpersonal Leadership qualities in developing effective working relationships with trades staff; People and consultative management skills; excellent verbal communication skills; Coaching/mentoring; and Demonstrated report and documentation writing skills.
- Financial management skills including estimating, budgeting, cost control, recording and reporting.
- Specific experience in technical areas of engineering systems: Biocontainment Systems, Steam Generation and Reticulation Piping, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration plant, Building and Process Services, Laboratory Equipment, Mechanical plant, electrical and /or process plant engineering involving automated control systems.
- Prior experience in a similar facility and/or familiarity with complex engineering systems and / or Knowledge of the principals of microbiological security.
- Knowledge in electrical, mechanical, electronics, operation and maintenance and/or process plant engineering involving automated control systems.
- Experience with facilities which require a high level of security.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens only, appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements including Security Assessment/Microbiological Security Requirements for Personnel Working on the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP) Site. The successful candidate will be required to obtain and maintain a Negative Vetting Level 1 Australian Government Security Clearance. CSIRO utilises the Australian Government Security Vetting Agency to conduct its security clearances. Further information regarding security clearances may be found at http://defence.gov.au/AGSVA/resources.asp To obtain an Australian Government security clearance, 10 years’ worth of background information verifiable by independent and reliable sources is required.
To be eligible for this position you must be willing and able to work within the “Secure Area” of the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness. Working within this area will impose restrictions which may affect your lifestyle such as contact with certain types of animals or access to land where these animals are kept.
This role has child safety obligations. Accordingly, the successful candidate will be required to obtain or provide evidence that they hold a working with children check prior to confirmation of appointment. Other Special requirements include, be willing and able to adhere to CSIRO ACDP microbiological security requirements and HSE policies. Be willing and able to be vaccinated against rabies, hepatitis B, Japanese encephalitis or other agents.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
26 March 2023, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 26 Mar 2023
- VIC - Geelong
- AU$146,207 - AU$161,767 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time