Cloud Systems Engineer
Cloud Systems Engineer
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
We are developing a cloud native analytics and data fabric platform based on open-source cloud-native systems & AI components to dramatically upscale our research across many different science domains, such as oceans, atmosphere, land, water, agriculture, materials, in short, all the large, and exciting scientific problems CSIRO is working on.
We are a small team working closely with our researchers to find the best solutions to allow them to quickly move from a research prototype to a repeatable, reliable and scalable service to be used by the wider community while at the same time striving to continuously improve a platform to better serve our emerging opportunities.
We are looking for highly flexible developers familiar with cloud native technologies and comfortable building new, as well as extending existing capabilities. Our preferred language for the core components is Go, but we are also developing SDKs in Python and R, the preferred language of our scientists. We work with most cloud vendors, but our platform will also need to work in the field with intermittent network connectivity.
Your duties will include:
- Design, develop and maintain cloud-native components for diverse analytics workflows.
- Participate in the design, development and maintenance of SDKs supporting service providers and users of the platform.
- Produce high quality engineering artefacts (e.g., design, patents, code, and demos) suitable for deployment in real-world 24/7 environments.
- Build elegant, efficient and readable code.
- Work collaboratively and honestly with internal and external colleagues, clients and partners.
- Maintaining high ethical and performance standards
Location: Negotiable and will consider all locations where CSIRO has a significant presence
Salary: AU$121,455 - AU$142,321 per annum (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Experience writing cloud native software (preferrable in Go, but experience with other systems languages like C, C++, or Rust and a willingness to learn Go is acceptable as well)
- Experience deploying and managing software in a cloud environment, such as AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Working knowledge of databases such as; SQL, Postgres, BigTable, etc.
- Experience with git version control and CI/CD systems
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team, taking initiative and exercising sound judgement in resolving matters to achieve desired results.
- Experience with configuration management or infrastructure as code tools, such as, Terraform, or CloudFormation
- Experience with data analytics libraries, such as Pandas/Python or R.
- Experience with agile methodologies
- Experience or knowledge of cyber security concepts and best practices
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
2nd April 2023, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 02 Apr 2023
- AU$121,455 - AU$142,321 per annum (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time