Mechanical Engineer - [Archived Advertisement]
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Develop the next generation of radio astronomy receivers for the Australia Telescope National Facility
- Join a world leading team in radio astronomy instrumentation
- Work closely with innovative commercial partners
CSIRO’s Space and Astronomy business unit (S&A) operates a number of world-class radio astronomy observatories that are collectively known as the Australia Telescope National Facility or the ATNF. As one of the world’s leading astronomical facilities and Australia’s premier radio astronomy research organisation, S&A is a participant in ground-breaking projects such as the international Square Kilometre Array (SKA) project and a satellite communications ground station project in partnership with the CSIRO spin-out, Quasar.
S&A is currently offering an exciting opportunity for a suitably qualified individual to join the Antenna and Receiver Technologies group as a Mechanical Engineer. As the position is offered across two salary levels, at the higher (CSOF6) level, you will lead the mechanical design associated with high value, low quantity technology products. As a CSOF5 appointee, you will be part of a team undertaking these activities. You will perform a range of mechanical design tasks, and produce Statements of Work, engineering reports and engineering drawings. Interacting with contract manufacturers and suppliers, the CSOF6 appointee will lead projects and ensure engineering developments are conducted to an agreed standard and within agreed timelines and budget. In the CSOF5 position, you will lead activities and parts of projects (with potential scope to lead projects in the future) and both will have the opportunity to mentor junior engineers and technicians in their professional development. The CSOF6 position may also provide team leadership at times, with a view to possibly taking on the role more permanently in the longer term (by mutual agreement).
CSIRO Space and Astronomy is committed to providing a safe and inclusive culture and implementing initiatives to improve diversity and equity within our workplaces. This role is offered on a full?time or part?time basis. Note that visa sponsorship may not be available for part-time appointments.
In this role you will:
- Undertake Finite Element Analysis (FEA), and thermal modelling for use in radio astronomy and/or space science applications.
- Produce high quality engineering/project reports and engineering drawings to AS1100 (or equivalent).
- Oversee the fabrication of prototype and/or proof-of-concept components or assemblies.
- Lead and manage activities and parts of projects and assist with elements of larger projects.
- As required, represent CSIRO externally, including in public forums, with industry or the research sector or with Government.
- Manage interactions with commercial partners.
- Work effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team, at times under broad guidance from more senior members.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to junior engineers and technicians.
- Travel to S&A observatories and other sites to assist in the maintenance, development, verification and commissioning of instrumentation.
If appointed at the higher (CSOF6) salary level, you will also:
- Lead and manage interactions with contract manufacturers and suppliers.
- Lead and manage small research projects and assist with elements of larger projects.
Location: Marsfield (Sydney) New South Wales, Australia
Salary: CSOF5 AU$105k - AU$114k or CSOF6 AU$121k - AU$142k per annum
(pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation (pension fund)
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years - Full-time or Part-time (minimum 0.8 FTE)
Note that visa sponsorship may not be available for part-time appointments.
To be considered you will need:
- A bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or other relevant Engineering field.
- Experience in the use of industry standard 3D mechanical CAD tools to analyse and design high value, low quantity systems.
- Experience in the use of NASTRAN Mechanical FEA (or equivalent) as well as thermal analysis of cryogenic systems.
- The ability to produce high quality engineering reports and engineering drawings to AS1100 (or equivalent).
- The ability to work collaboratively and autonomously as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
For appointment at the higher (CSOF6) salary level, as well as satisfying the Essential Criteria, you must also have:
- Significant experience in the use of industry standard 3D mechanical CAD tools in the analysis and mechanical design of high value low quantity systems.
- Significant experience in the use of NASTRAN Mechanical FEA (or equivalent) as well as thermal analysis of cryogenic systems.
- Experience leading the design, development, verification and maintenance of high-value engineering products.
- Experience providing engineering leadership and mentorship
To see the full list of criteria for this role, please view the Position Details
- Applications are open to all candidates (visa sponsorship will be provided if required).
- The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact. CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Wednesday 1 March, 2023 (11pm Australian Eastern Daylight-savings Time, AEDT)
- Closing Date:
- 01 Mar 2023
- NSW - Marsfield
- CSOF5 AU$105k - AU$114k or CSOF6 AU$121k - AU$142k per annum (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time