CSIRO Winanga-y Postdoctoral Fellowship in Industrial Biotechnology - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Winanga-y Postdoctoral Fellowship in Industrial Biotechnology
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD in Biological Physics, Food Sciences, Microbiology, Biomedical Engineering or Material Engineering?
- Inform improved food safety and quality management decisions in agri-food chains
- Great opportunity to join multidisciplinary teams at various laboratories
CERC Fellows are appointed for three years or full-time equivalent and will work closely with leading Research Scientists or Engineers in in their respective field. They carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO with the possibility of novel and important scientific outcomes. They present the findings in appropriate publications and at conferences.
This project will address the fundamental scientific and technical challenges associated with real-time early detection of contaminants at various stages of food supply chains.
The CERC Fellow will develop their skills at the interface of Food microbiology & Food Science (Werribee & Coopers Plains, Ag&F) and within CSIRO across Business Units through working with researchers experienced in developing cutting edge science solutions that lead to impact through an innovative sensing platform to inform improved food safety and quality management decisions in agri-food chains.
This role represents a key component for the development of new research approach and technologies platform (i.e., digital systems) that can be implemented through the food supply chains for real-time monitoring of food safety assurance. The role will be closely integrated with other members of the novel functional food products team providing technology platforms, and expertise to support research commercialisation and/or grant funding which will form the basis for developing similarly essential aspects related to food safety and quality (i.e., freshness markers, allergens, contaminants, and chemical residues) across the agriculture sector.
We are thrilled to be able to deliver on the commitment we made in our strategy to invest in frontier science with the CSIRO Agriculture & Food Winanga-y Postdoctoral Fellowship scheme. The name Winanga-y (pronounced win-na-gnay) is a cultural asset lent to us from the local Gamilaroi mob in Myall Vale. Winanga-y means to understand, know, remember, and think.
Your duties will include:
- Carrying out research investigations in development of molecular imprinting-based surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy for real-time monitoring of contaminants in food requirement originality, creativity and innovation.
- Recording, managing, and analysing data/information using relevant domain data science techniques.
- Producing high quality scientific papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports, granting of patents or further research proposals.
- Proactively developing and leading collaboration with the CSIRO Data 61 Business Unit.
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
Location: Werribee, Victoria
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Biological Physics, Food Sciences, Microbiology, Biomedical Engineering or Material Engineering. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Experience in polymer and biomaterial research, surface chemistry and characterisations, molecular imprinting polymers, optical sensing.
- Experience in the bio-spectroscopy chemical analysis combined with chemometric statistical analysis specifically in the use of Raman spectroscopy, Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS), Molecular Imprinting Technology and self-assembled SERS platform for specific molecule detection.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
To enter a CSIRO site, CSIRO will require you to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (or show a valid medical exemption from vaccination). If you are unable to meet this requirement, then you must return a negative result on a Rapid Antigen Test (within 48 hours prior to attending site) and wear a face mask whilst on the CSIRO site. These requirements apply if you are attending a CSIRO site as part of a recruitment process.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 October 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 31 Oct 2022
- VIC - Werribee
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: