Electrical Metrologist – Power Systems
Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources (View other jobs from this organisation)
Electrical Metrologist – Power Systems
About the National Measurement Institute
We are the Australian Government’s national authority on measurement. We play an important role in the Australian economy by leading, maintaining and regulating Australia’s measurement system. We deliver world-class measurement products, advice and client services and administer the regulatory framework for measurement. Our national measurement standards are recognised internationally and we work to enhance and maintain these standards.
We value the different skills, knowledge and perspectives our employees bring. We’re committed to giving everyone an equal opportunity to participate, contribute and progress. Our values and behaviours centre on being, adaptable, innovative, accountable, strategic, inclusive and influential.
About the team
The Physical Metrology Branch leads the development, maintenance and dissemination of Australia’s peak physical measurement standards. We provide the traceability assurance that measurements made in Australia are accepted internationally. The branch is an active participant in international measurement forums. Through the delivery of a range of calibrations and other measurement services branch staff share their expertise with Australian and international stakeholders. This includes to support research, process improvements, product optimisation and better measurement practice across the economic landscape.
The Electricity Section undertakes advanced research and development that anticipates new measurement technologies and applications, collaborating both nationally and internationally in support of its objectives. The section develops, maintains and disseminates to industry Australia’s primary standards of electrical measurement. It delivers specialised calibration and other measurement services to a variety of clients, including commercial calibration laboratories and government organisations.
The Power Systems Technology group, which is part the Electricity Section, operates the largest high-voltage laboratory in Australia and provides critical services to electrical power industry. The services are divided into three major areas, high-voltage testing and calibration, instrument transformer calibration and contract supply of high-voltage measurement devices. The group now offers over 30 different types of regular testing and calibration services, covering a wide range of devices and a wide range of measurement parameters. The group is expanding its capabilities to meet the increasing demands of the power industry for its test and calibration services.
Our ideal candidate
We seek an electrical engineer/scientist to join the team to work in the area of precision measurement high voltage and high current. You are adaptable, flexible, and ready to learn. You will aim to become a recognised national and international expert in high-voltage and high-current measurement, including:
- Voltage transformers
- Current transformers
- Instrument transformer testing sets.
Attributes of the ideal candidate include:
- A degree in electrical engineering, physics or a related discipline. A PhD or equivalent relevant experience will be highly regarded.
- Experience in developing innovative and complex automated electrical measurement systems, including development of measurement software using platforms such as LabView and VBA.
- Experience in instrument transformers, high-voltage measurement and high-current measurement is highly regarded.
- Experience in developing and maintaining quality systems for providing calibration services, including developing quality system documents.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in relevant stakeholder engagement, such as customer services and publication of research findings in scientific conferences and journals.
- Experience in managing resources, including procurement of major equipment of complex specification.
- Leading by example, demonstrating behaviours consistent with the NMI Values.
What you will do
- Provide specialised test and calibration services in the area of instrument transformers and instrument transformer testing equipment, completing tests and calibrations efficiently, accurately and to clients’ requirements.
- Build and maintain constructive relationships with clients and external stakeholders, providing advice on technical issues and contributing to training programs.
- Develop, enhance and maintain high-voltage and high current measurement standards and services.
- Contribute to a high performing, inclusive work environment.
- Contribute to the ongoing improvement and maintenance of the group’s quality system documentation and processes.
- Provide high-level scientific and technical support for the operations of the power systems technology team, including contributing to research directions, project planning and resource management.
Applications close: Sunday July 10, 2022
- Closing Date:
- 10 Jul 2022
- NSW - Sydney
- $88,781 - $96,279
- Work Type:
- Full Time
- APS Classification:
- APS Level 6