Executive Level 2
$123,159 - $147,828 (plus Super)
Various - NSW
Navy Engineering are looking for high performing, experienced, professional Engineers to be a part of their vibrant teams that provide engineering services to the growing National Naval Shipbuilding Enterprise. We are looking for Engineers across a variety of engineering disciplines such as:
- Communications Systems and Security,
- Cyber Systems,
- Electronic Warfare,
- Sensors and Radar,
- Robotic and Autonomous Systems,
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence,
- Naval Architecture,
- Combat Survivability,
- Armament Systems,
- Program Liaison Officers, and
- Undersea Systems.
These civilian engineering roles may cover broad areas of technology or be quite specialist depending on the work area and your skill set. The key objectives for our Engineers is to develop in-depth technical knowledge in naval technologies to enable operationally effective, safe & environmentally conscious naval capability. Our engineers form a critical part of Navy’s knowledge management system and in many cases are recognised as the pre-eminent authority in their field. Recognising the specialist nature of the naval context, navy engineering has a strong emphasis on development and training, including practical on the job training opportunities.
As an EL2 Engineer, some of your key duties may include:
- Accountable for managing and leading a team, including providing clear and consistent communication, setting clear performance and behavioural standards, managing performance, delegating responsibility and guiding and developing people.
- Apply superior engineering knowledge to ensure Navy Engineering Branch (NEB) teams operates within legislative regulatory systems and established principles within the defence engineering disciplines.
- High level of stakeholder engagement both within the agency, but also within the Minister’s office across the APS and external parties.
- Provide strategic advice to senior management and stakeholders as well as leading and assuming accountability for very complex work / work programs that have strategic, political or operational significance.
- Exercise a significant degree of independence and perform an important leadership role by imparting Director General Engineering – Navy’s strategic vision and mission on subordinate organisations.
- Development of naval technical requirements and associated knowledge management (including engagement with international peers, organisations and working groups).
- Conducting assurance activities for wide range of Navy Ships (current and future).
- Review, analysis and interpretation; undertaking assessments, research, technical investigations, design and development, verification and validation and testing.
- Provision of technical advice, knowledge and recommendations of naval products and services.
- Ensure operational, safety and environmental aspects of Navy Ships are considered and incorporated into systems integration activities and tasks.
- Preparation of briefs, minutes, proposals, reports and presentations. Also represent Navy Engineering interests in meetings and executive forums to inform decision making, shape governance and assurance, and achieve alignment across the organisation.
Largely, you will work to deliver very complex engineering products and services through planning, organisation control and integration, application and synthesis of specialist engineering knowledge.
You will also be required to liaise with a number of stakeholders, both external and internal such as: suppliers, contractors, Project Managers, Head of Departments (Ships), Fleet Headquarters, and senior leadership across both Defence and Industry. You will also need to effectively communicate with colleagues across your team, branch, division and groups within Defence.
As the successful Engineer, you will also assist with training and knowledge sharing amongst colleagues (APS and ADF), including mentoring and skills development of graduate engineers.
If you’re looking for a challenging and stimulating career in a role that makes a real difference, look no further than a role within Navy. You will have the opportunity to work closely alongside and support serving navy personnel, capability development, acquisition projects, and in-service support groups.
The Directorate Navy Engineering (DNE) is the primary support group for the Director General Engineering Navy (DGENG-N) in the provision and retention of specialist technical and engineering maritime knowledge, products and services.
DNE brings together a large group of experienced technical and engineering personnel across a wide range of maritime technologies. These include:
- Maritime Systems (electrical & mechanical),
- Naval Architecture,
- Armament systems,
- Sensors (above & below water) and Navigation,
- Information warfare (including communications, Networks and cyber),
- Combat Management Systems,
- Signals intelligence systems,
- Software systems and safety,
- Sonar and acoustic intelligence system,
- Electronic Warfare and Radar systems, and
- Undersea Systems.
DNE is responsible for the coordinated Navy Engineering Branch (NEB) inputs to programs and projects and ensuring the NEB is represented on all Naval and Defence matters requiring Navy Engineering expertise throughout all phases of the Defence Capability Life Cycle (CLC).
This position is an opportunity to contribute to establishing the naval ship building enterprise over the next two decades.
As an Engineer within Defence, you will have access to generous working conditions as an Australian Public Servant. You will be supported in balancing work life with family and other priorities, with a variety of flexible working arrangements available.
You will have numerous opportunities to upskill as we have various training, development and educational opportunities available, including Masters Programs. You will enjoy meaningful and interesting work within a supportive and collaborative working environment.
You will also be provided with an opportunity to work across different teams and areas, along with transfer opportunities across Australia and international linkages; expanding on your existing skills and experience and creating valuable networks and relationships.
The Ideal Candidate
As an Engineer within Navy, you will work in a dynamic and diverse environment requiring a number of key competencies.
Manage and Lead: You will show leadership, hold to the highest standards of professional ethics and be uncompromising in the delivery of sound engineering advice. You will mentor your team, sharing knowledge and experience and creating opportunities for development. You will be capable of working well with a diverse team, managing individual strengths and weaknesses in order to deliver on collective outcomes.
Analysis: You will be adept in analysing information, probe for clarity, produce solutions, make judgements and have the ability to think systematically.
Writing and reporting: You will be someone who can write clearly, succinctly and correctly, structuring information and convincing through writing. Your strong ability in analysing, synthesising and presenting technical information and data in a clear and concise manner, will aid key decision making.
Apply expertise & technology: We are looking for Engineers who can apply, develop & share their specialist and detailed technical expertise, whilst also understanding other Engineering disciplines and how they relate to one another. You will hold experience (or the desire to learn) of specific technologies and their application to new and existing naval capability
Learning & research: Ability to learn rapidly, gather and understand information quickly, and ensure an organisational learning approach.
Following instructions & procedures: As an Engineer within Defence, you will be someone who can following procedures and instructions, showing commitment and keeping to safety and legal guidelines. You will hold a high attention to detail, along with a strong sense of self management; the ability to manage tasks that are given to you and prioritise workloads.
Additionally, we are looking for engineers who are excellent communicators, able to work well within a diverse network of Navy and civilian government personnel and contractors. You will possess the ability to work in a fluid environment, remaining flexible, agile and adaptable support colleagues at short notice.
If you are an Engineer with a strong personal drive to develop or grow your Naval expertise, we would love to hear from you.
Application Closing Date: Thursday the 21st of July 2022
For further information please review the job information pack, reference NAVY/02958/22 on https://defencecareers.nga.net.au/?jati=055D20F2-2174-8610-D43F-C8A62F425510