High Performance Computing (HPC) Data Specialist - [Archived Advertisement]
Defence Science and Technology (DST) (View other jobs from this organisation)
High Performance Computing (HPC) Data Specialist
Executive Level 1 (S&T Level 5)
$101,955 - $115,005 (plus super)
The role of High Performance Computing (HPC) Data Specialist encompasses the specialties of HPC Security and HPC Data Support. The primary purpose of the role is to ensure the security of scientific data on a classified shared HPC The HPC Lead Data Specialist will contribute to the development of policies and guidelines for HPC data security and will take a hands-on role in the configuration, maintenance and auditing of data imported and exported from the HPC system on behalf of users.
The HPC Data Specialist is responsible for the optimisation of data work flow processes to deliver increases in throughput and productivity, cost reductions and a better distribution of resources across computationally intensive research projects. The HPC data specialist will provide advice and assistance regarding best practice in research data management and provides assistance in the development and execution of researcher's data management plans. Through the application of appropriate data management expertise, the HPC data specialist ensures the maximum capability can be extracted from the data sets to be used on the HPC system.
The ideal candidate for this role will have demonstrated experience in the assurance and delivery of secure data sets for scientific computing ideally in a big-data and/or high performance computing environment. They will interface directly with HPC clients to ensure the delivery of a high-quality user experience and will report, as necessary to the HPC executive management team.
The successful candidate will develop and apply their expertise to a wide range of tasks in a security constrained environment. They will provide advanced support and advice to DST researchers and collaborate to better understand their priorities and to develop and deliver solutions to meet their needs. They will provide advanced troubleshooting for managed research projects and interact and liaise with vendors, suppliers, distributors and contract consultants as required.
The HPC Data Management Specialist will provide expertise, with the following key responsibilities:
- Accountable for managing allocated resources, setting work area priorities, managing workflows, developing strategies and evaluating business outcomes relating to Secure Data Management for HPC research.
- Accountable for accurate completion of client requirements within timeframes and quality requirements, share expertise and guide and mentor less experienced employees.
- Oversee and manage developments to meet Defence's strategic needs through improvements to Secure Data Management services.
- Manage the enhancement of capabilities, information, knowledge and the transition of staff skills to meet project needs.
- Apply expertise and a broad understanding of data science knowledge to lead Data Management and Security activities.
- Understand application of data security to the operational environment to provide advice to senior management and stakeholders.
- Facilitate appropriate direction for the team by clearly communicating goals and objectives.
- Liaise and negotiate with stakeholders to recognise their priorities and develop solutions to meet their needs and expectations.
- Diagnose a range of data security issues from a Defence and scientific ICT perspective and implement solutions.
- Interpret and translate information between Australian Defence Force personnel, senior management and scientific teams to align strategic goals and project outcomes.
- Mentor HPC and Data Management staff and ensure team members adhere to the internal processes.
Application Closing Date: 25 March 2019
For further information please review the job information pack, reference DST/00683/19 on www.defence.gov.au/apscareers
- Closing Date:
- 25 Mar 2019
- SA - Edinburgh
- $101,955 - $115,005 (plus super)
- Work Type:
- Full Time
- APS Classification:
- Executive Level 1