Terrestrial Ecologist - [Archived Advertisement]
Jacobs is one of the world’s leading providers in technical, professional and construction services. We specialise in architecture, engineering and construction, operations and maintenance, as well as scientific and consulting. Our client portfolio includes industrial, commercial, and government clients across multiple markets and geographies.
About the opportunity
Jacobs Terrestrial Ecology Consultants deliver complex and technically challenging local and national projects to clients involved in a wide range of infrastructure and development activities, including major construction projects, public utilities, transport infrastructure and environmental management programs. Jacob’s ecologists also provide support to a range of environmental management and some restoration programs.
Due to continued growth in the terrestrial ecology business, we are seeking to appoint a Terrestrial Ecologist to join our Melbourne team, reporting to the Terrestrial Ecology and Cultural Heritage Section Leader. The successful candidate will work closely with the ecology team and other specialist colleagues across the business. These include environmental planning and management, project management, spatial science and survey, geotechnical and scientific services, and water and transport engineering services.
The role is based in Melbourne, but will involve regional and interstate work at times as we deliver our services as part of a national team.
Key accountabilities include
- Undertake and assist with terrestrial ecological surveys, principally within Victoria, but with some scope for other states
- Assist with the provision of ecological advice to Jacobs Project Managers and clients in the form of concise and relevant reporting
- Provide support to the terrestrial ecology team in winning work, project management and delivery
- Undertake a variety of specialist roles relating to project delivery based on relevant experience. Types of input will relate to vegetation surveys, threatened species analysis, Habitat Hectare assessment and habitat assessment (or their equivalent)
- Develop and diversify terrestrial ecology skills through project experience, mentoring and training
- Assist with proposal development and work continuity
- Technical input to projects, provision of client advice, project management and participation in ecology assessments for a wide variety of multi-disciplinary projects and sectors.
- Tertiary qualification in Ecology or Environmental Science related discipline, ideally with honours
- Experience in the ecology consulting industry preferable
- Understanding of the biodiversity of Victoria, knowledge of flora and working knowledge of fauna;
- Understanding legislation relevant to ecological management
- Field survey experience – planning, mobilising and managing
- Driver’s license essential, 4wd experience and accreditation preferable
- Some experience in GIS, field mapping and developing and managing spatial datasets
- Working knowledge of Victoria’s Permitted clearing of native vegetation – Biodiversity assessment guidelines and other relevant environmental legislation, including Victoria’s FFG Act and the Federal EPBC Act
- Vegetation Quality Assessment Habitat Hectare Certification would be favourably looked upon
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
At Jacobs we offer rewarding careers with ongoing development opportunities, flexible working arrangements and a culture that is collaborative and inclusive. We believe in collaboration and knowledge sharing, from global virtual teams to local work sharing options.
Achieve more with a global brand. Apply online by clicking here
- VIC - Melbourne
- Work Type:
- Full Time