Garvan aspires to fundamentally understand diseases that will enable the delivery of better health for Australians and all mankind. Genomics is a key component for realising this vision.
The goal of Garvan’s Genome Informatics team is to make the genomes of patient-cohorts accessible and useful. Our primary focus is to develop reliable, robust, and user-friendly software that significantly reduces cohort-over-cohort engineering time, while making it easy for our users to make genome discoveries. Our scalable genome databases and low latency queries provide real-time exploration across tens of billions of data points through our interactive front-end. We have no shortage of difficult problems and challenges.
This opportunity is for a talented and motivated software engineer with excellent front-end development skills to join the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics’ (KCCG) Genome Informatics Team. Engineers with at least 2 years’ relevant work experience are welcome to apply for this 2-year full-time position (with the possibility of extension). The position reports to the Chief of Informatics and the salary offered is $85,313 pa.
- Experience in software systems related to genomics, clinical genomics, or precision medicine delivery
- A passion for continuous learning about genomics - a technology that’s undergone a million-fold improvement in speed and cost in the last 10 years. Generating 250 Gigabytes per patient genome, we typically identify more than 5 million genetic variants in each patient. In a 1,000-patient cohort we’re talking 30 billion data points, and 1,000 patients is small in our business.
- A strong interest in data visualisation. You will have billions of data points that we update in real-time, with this example being just the beginning of what we do: https://sgc.garvan.org.au/explore.
- Scientists will marvel at your User Interfaces that help them drive new scientific insights.
- Professional experience with modern front-end frameworks like Angular2+, Vue.js or React
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science with good IT skills. Postgraduate studies or courses would be an advantage.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via Garvan’s Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Please include the following in your application:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
This position will remain open until 13 August 2018. We are reviewing applications as they are received, as such candidates are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible.