Senior Quantum Device Physicist
Senior Quantum Device Physicist
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Apply your expertise to projects focused on driving the future of Quantum Tech
- Collaborate with Australia’s leading scientists and government agencies
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s National Science Agency – and grow your research career!
In 2021, CSIRO launched its Quantum Technology Future Science Program and made strategic investments in Quantum Sensors and Devices.
CSIRO is playing a significant role in laying the groundwork for a quantum industry for Australia based on translation of quantum research to local commercial partners.
You will have the opportunity to play a key role in the emerging global quantum industry and influence the development of new cutting-edge technologies in quantum sensing, quantum communication and quantum computation. Quantum technologies are set to help solve some of society's greatest challenges in scientific discovery, health care, climate and natural resources.? You will be joining a vibrant and growing community of quantum experts with multi-disciplinary expertise and will have access to world-class research facilities.
We are seeking a driven and experienced Research Scientist to join our rapidly expanding quantum sensors and devices capability based in Lindfield NSW.
As a Senior Quantum Device Physicist, you will lead and develop a team of scientists developing quantum systems based on condensed matter physics, optics or photonics. Your activities will both align with and complement CSIRO’s existing research capabilities in High Temperature Superconducting (HTS) electronic devices, circuits, advanced magnetometry, and emerging 2D materials and their device applications. Your team will engage on a range of projects from early-stage feasibility through to more commercially-oriented projects to uplift Technology Readiness Levels of CSIRO technology towards commercial applications. This new role provides the flexibility to augment existing capability as well as to introduce a new research direction in quantum devices.
If you have a comprehensive knowledge of quantum device physics, and enjoy creatively applying your expertise to design, test and problem solve, this would be a great career opportunity for you! CSIRO will offer you excellent career development and professional support, and we are strongly committed to diversity and supporting flexible working arrangements.
Your duties will include:
- Applying experience and knowledge of theoretical and experimental physics for quantum research and device development.
- Supervision of a team of scientists and engineers engaged in sensor and device development.
- Leading an area of scientific research that creates new Intellectual Property with strong end user applications.
- Leading and collaborating in the planning and preparation of research proposals and carrying out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity, and innovation.
- Contributing to defining scientific strategy of the research program particularly quantum-related facilities and capabilities
- Presenting results in a meaningful format, preparing reports for clients and/or writing scientific papers for publication.
Location: Lindfield (Sydney), NSW
Salary: Attractive salary package on offer
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD, or an equivalent combination of qualifications and significant research experience, in a relevant field such as physics or engineering.
- A sound knowledge of quantum physics preferably superconductivity and/or condensed matter physics, optics, photonics and the ability to creatively apply this to the design of sensors and devices.
- Track record of scientific leadership such as authoring successful funding submissions, setting research direction and science strategy.
- Proven ability to lead projects and deliver outcomes – on time, on budget, on brief.
- Demonstrated experience in undertaking laboratory measurements such as electrical, optical, photonics.
- Demonstrated capability in planning, organising, and manipulating experimental data including statistical and fitting techniques.
- A demonstrated publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
- Strong experience in leading a team of researchers with clear understanding of HSE and modelling workplace safety culture.
- Experience in electronics, electronic design, and fabrication.
- Demonstrated cryogenic experimental measurements skills.
- Demonstrated programming skills for control electronics and/or data analysis, in C++, Matlab, Python or similar.
- Finite Element Analysis and/or Finite Difference Time Domain modelling using sophisticated packages such as COMSOL or CS.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Sunday 5th March 2023 AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 05 Mar 2023
- NSW - Lindfield
- Attractive salary package on offer
- Work Type:
- Full Time