Research Scientist for Software Security
Research Scientist for Software Security
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
The role of Research Scientist/Engineer staff is to conduct innovative research leading to scientific achievements that are aligned with CSIRO’s strategies. The Research Scientist/Engineer may be engaged in scientific activity ranging from fundamental research to the investigation of specific industry or community problems. The Research Scientist/Engineer will have the opportunity to build and maintain networks, play a lead role in securing project funds, provide scientific leadership and pursue new ideas and approaches that create new concepts.
- Supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
- Use your skills and experiences as a Research Scientist to support something truly special.
- Join CSIRO and support Australia's premier scientific organisation!
In your role as Research Scientist, you will deliver research projects and undertake research with the primary focus of developing robust machine intelligence to make cyber security decisions when faced with complex security problems.
The Research Scientists will collaborate and play a lead role in developing a stream of research and development that contributes to high quality articles acceptable to high rank conferences (IEEE S&P, ACM CCS, NDSS, Usenix Security, ESORICS, ASIA CCS or similar) and high impact journals (IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, or similar).
Your duties will include:
- Play a lead role to deliver projects and carry out research to develop robust machine intelligence to make cyber security decisions when faced with complex security problems.
- Liaise with clients to determine their needs and take personal responsibility for client satisfaction.
- Under limited direction, assist in the planning and preparation of research proposals and carry out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Present results in a meaningful format, prepare reports for clients and/or write scientific papers for publication.
- Address problems promptly and in a constructive manner, selecting the most profitable lines of attack upon a problem, preparing detailed design proposals and experimental protocols.
- Undertake in experimental and/or observational research activities, often requiring the supervision and/or training of others to ensure experiments are established in accordance with research design, or as required.
- Draw on professional expertise, knowledge of other disciplines and research experience, recognise opportunities for innovation and generate new theoretical perspectives by pursuing new ideas/approaches and networking with scientific colleagues across a range of disciplines.
Location: Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra or Brisbane
Salary: AU$105,806 - AU$114,500 per annum (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as Computer Science, Data Sciences, Cyber Security, Information Technology or Software Engineering.
- Established experience in conducting research activities in information security, software security and critical infrastructure security.
- Proven ability to conduct high quality research, development and implementation in AI and Cyber Security with publications in the top tier security conferences IEEE S&P, ACM CCS, NDSS, Usenix Security, or similar level conferences in other domains.
- Established experience in applying research outcomes in solving practical/industry problems, preferably in the area of data and system security and security automation in domains.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, including the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
- Established experience in applying artificial intelligence and machine learning in practical cybersecurity problems such as software supply-chains and critical infrastructure.
- Established experience in developing security, privacy and trust solutions for distributed systems architecture and platforms.
- Experience in PhD student supervision and research collaboration.
- Demonstrated experience in proposal development, innovation and research project delivery with impact.
- Proven ability to remain productive, positive and resilient in complex, ambiguous and/or uncertain environments.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, potentially regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
18th December 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 18 Dec 2022
- AU$ 105,806 - AU$ 114,500 per annum (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time