Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Sit at the interface between science & industry, work with CSIRO’s researchers
- Lead techno-economic components of projects to inform investment decisions
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s premier science & technology research organisation
The Manager (techno-economics) will play a pivotal role within CSIRO Futures.
As the strategic advisory arm of Australia's national science organisation, CSIRO Futures transforms the biggest challenges into opportunities for sustainable growth, helping our clients achieve their goals.
CSIRO Futures combines economic modelling, deep science and emerging technologies to solve strategic and technical problems in new ways. This ranges from strategic roadmaps that drive the creation of billion-dollar industries to game-changing business strategies. The group sits at the interface between science and industry and work closely with CSIRO’s researchers across the food and agriculture, health, energy and future industries, where they help senior decision makers develop evidence-based investment strategies.
Your role will be responsible for leading the delivery of the techno-economic components of industry roadmaps and bespoke advisory projects aimed at informing decisions made by senior government and industry leaders.
Your duties will include:
- Link technical parameters such as efficiency and transformation rates of inputs with economic ones (e.g. factor prices, product prices) to derive economic metrics such as capital expenditure (capex), operational expenditure (opex), and revenue.
- Scope techno-economic components of strategy projects of varying size and scale.
- Under limited direction, lead small teams to deliver the techno-economic components of projects.
- Act as internal reviewer for projects within team and provide mentoring and project support (where required), as well as providing quality assurance of economic modelling/analysis and technical outputs.
- Liaise with clients to determine their needs, tailoring solutions to potentially conflicting requirements, taking personal responsibility for client satisfaction, and correcting problems promptly and in a constructive manner.
- Succinctly and professionally communicate complex business, scientific and technical concepts to senior executives and government decision makers.
Location: Melbourne Clayton, VIC (Hybrid Working Environment)
Salary: AU$102K to AU$111K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
To be considered you will need:
- A degree in engineering, economics or a related field that includes significant quantitative and analytical components.
- Experience leading small teams on strategic or technical consulting projects that include techno-economic modelling and analysis to support business strategy and investment decision making.
- Experience building techno-economic models in Microsoft Excel to quantitatively estimate the relative costs and benefits of different technology solutions, in addition to their timeframes, risks and uncertainties, to determine if proposed technologies are economically feasible and to compare different technology solutions and inform sequencing decisions.
- Experience linking technical parameters such as efficiency and transformation rates of inputs with economic ones (e.g. factor prices, product prices) to derive economic metrics such as capital expenditure (capex), operational expenditure (opex), and revenue.
- Demonstrated experience or interest in science and technology.
- Excellent oral communication skills and experience generating professional quality client-facing written reports and deliverables that clearly communicate economic analysis and key insights to a senior executive-level audience.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment and to identify and build positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
To enter a CSIRO site, CSIRO will require you to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (or show a valid medical exemption from vaccination). If you are unable to meet this requirement, then you must return a negative result on a Rapid Antigen Test (within 48 hours prior to attending site) and wear a face mask whilst on the CSIRO site. These requirements apply if you are attending a CSIRO site as part of a recruitment process.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Shortlisting for this role may take place as applications are received. We therefore reserve the right to close this vacancy once a suitable candidate has been appointed. Please consider applying as soon as possible.
- VIC - Clayton
- AU$102K to AU$111K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: