Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Outstanding opportunities to grow & develop your career
- Truly supportive team environment
- Flexible work arrangements
The Scientific Computing (SC) group within the Information Management & Technology (IMT) function provides end-to-end technology platforms ranging from corporate IT systems through to leading edge high performance data processing tools and platforms. The teams manage and support an edge to cloud computational and data fabric that includes several high performance computing (HPC) clusters, multiple hyperscale public cloud tenancies, mass storage and high performance tiered storage infrastructure with a national footprint. The group also provides hosting services for CSIRO’s corporate applications through provision of a highly versatile and robust virtualised platform, alongside support for organisational data management practices.
The Systems Configuration Management (SCM) team within the IMT SC group has multiple opportunities for system administrators. In this role you will collaborate with multiple internal teams to design, implement, integrate, administer and maintain on-premise scalable computing platforms, with a primarily focus in configuration management. You will also have the opportunity to contribute to the management of our Enterprise virtualisation fleet, DevOps processes/structures and CI/CD pipelines. You will work closely with team members, technical leads and senior staff to develop a strategy to support integrated scientific workflows using different components of CSIRO’s hybrid on-prem and multi-cloud platforms. You will have a focus on scientific computing services meeting CSIRO research teams’ requirements across a broad range of disciplines.
Your duties will include:
- Administration of configuration management systems (eg. Puppet, etc.).
- Provide technical advice that is aligned with overall solution designs, architecture and frameworks.
- Contribute positively to stimulate and promote a team approach, and develop sound working relationships with application users and business owners.
- Respond courteously and efficiently to client requests, maintaining clear communication regarding mutual expectations and monitoring client satisfaction.
- Keep management and other team members informed of progress and issues.
- Work collaboratively as part of a regionally dispersed, multi-disciplinary team.
Location: Au wide, flexible
Salary: AU$102k - AU$111k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Experience with configuration management systems (eg. Puppet, Chef, etc.).
- Good understanding of GitFlow and/or other related standards around development.
- Good understanding of revision control systems such as (git via Linux/BitBucket/GitHub/etc.)
- Systems programming experience - some combination of shell, python, ruby, perl, C, etc.
- Linux experience across multiple distributions.
- Experience with virtual systems, provisioning and operations (VMware)
CSIRO thrives on innovation; innovation that is harnessed by the diversity of the minds and lived experiences brought to our greatest challenges. CSIRO recognises that a candidate's capability to perform a role can be demonstrated in a variety of ways and encourages candidates to address the role criteria with this in mind.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens ONLY
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance at the Negative Vetting 1 level
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
17th August 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 17 Aug 2022
- AU$102k - AU$111k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time