CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship - Towards Modular Manufacturing by Chemical Process Intensification - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship - Towards Modular Manufacturing by Chemical Process Intensification
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Are you an early researcher in the field of chemical engineering or process engineering?
- Be involved in the development of flow chemistry technology
- Join our Clayton-based Manufacturing team for this exciting engineering fellowship
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
In this position you will undertake research in the development of flow chemistry technology in particular extending CSIRO’s already commercially successful catalytic static mixer reactor technology to the next level. The focus will be on hydrogenation and dehydrogenation reactions. In the role they will develop and optimise complex 3D reactor geometries through advanced modelling techniques that maximise reaction efficiency. The CERC Fellow will supervise the fabrication and testing of a reactor and its integration into a fully functional modular demonstration facility. The project will offer the CERC Fellow the opportunity to develop a range of relevant industry skills and the chance to pursue innovative thinking and research within a multi-disciplinary team.
Your duties will include:
- Gaining an understanding of the scope, flexibility and limitations of metal additive manufacturing processes.
- Developing process modelling methods to get a deeper understanding of the relationship between reactor design, fluid flow and heat management and to optimise process efficiency.
- Working and collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team of chemists, engineers, material scientists and modellers from two different business units (CSIRO Manufacturing and CSIRO Energy).
- Designing and undertaking experiments to test and validate the modelling work.
- Designing and managing the construction of a demonstration modular flow reaction system.
Location: Clayton, Victoria
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) OR hold an engineering degree plus a Master of Science (MSc) or Master of Engineering (MEng) qualifications (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a masters) plus equivalent levels of original and significant contributions to research and development to that expected of someone of a new PhD graduate. The doctorate or masters must be in a relevant discipline area, such as chemical engineering or process engineering.
Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full time equivalent) of relevant research experience.
- Experience in reaction engineering, particularly continuous flow processing / flow chemistry.
- Experience in numerical modelling and or simulation.
- Experience in experimental design, development of experimental equipment and analysis and interpretation of experimental results.
- Experience in process design.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or Australian temporary residents currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by 31 January 2023.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 August 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 31 Aug 2022
- VIC - Clayton
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: