Microbiologist/Biochemist - [Archived Advertisement]
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Bring your commercial microbiology experience to life!
- Be a part of a highly collaborative and cohesive manufacturing team!
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s National Science Agency!
CSIRO’s Manufacturing Business Unit brings together multi-disciplinary scientific and engineering capabilities; using world-class infrastructure and partnerships with industry develops innovative products and processes allowing Australian manufacturers to be globally competitive and environmentally sustainable. The Biomedical Manufacturing Research Program works with biomedical companies to deliver new medical treatments and technologies that benefit millions of people in Australia and overseas, helping them live longer, healthier, and more productive lives.
As a microbiologist, reporting to the Team Leader, Biologics Production - Microbial, you will be responsible for assisting senior researchers to produce Biologics (including proteins and small molecule bioactives) in microbial hosts using bioreactors and a range of associated microbiological techniques. Currently, we have vacancies for two microbiologist positions for the same role at our Melbourne, Clayton site. Please specify your choice at the time of your application as per the position reference below.
Your duties will include:
- Performing small scale screening to select optimum host strain and expression conditions to maximise yield of biologic
- Set up and operation of complex laboratory equipment and carrying out experiments using bioreactors systems under the technical direction of senior staff
- Assisting in designing and implementation of experimental plans and method development.
- Maintaining accurate experimental records, drafting reports and presenting analysis in a clear and concise manner.
- Providing guidance and overseeing the activities of less experienced staff and supporting them with technical guidance.
- Ensuring a safe work environment and compliance with gene technology regulations.
- Other duties as directed.
Location: Clayton, Victoria
Salary: AU$66k - AU$84k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Note: Two positions are offered at the same level. One appointment is indefinite and the other is a specified term of up to 3 years.
Reference and tenure: Ref. 80261 for indefinite and Ref. 80301 for a specified term of up to 3 years.
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications or equivalent relevant work experience in Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, Microbiology or Biochemistry or related field.
- Demonstrated microbiology expertise and experience including cultivation of microorganisms and aseptic techniques and a strong understanding of microbiological principles.
- Demonstrated experience in the production of biologics in microbial hosts
- High degree of mechanical aptitude with the willingness to complete repetitive tasks and mechanical aptitude and willingness to complete repetitive tasks
- Proven ability to effectively manage several competing priorities simultaneously and carry out non-routine tasks independently.
- Experience in working with expression hosts such as E coli, Pichia pastoris, Saccharomyces cerevisiae for protein production
- Experience in producing small molecule bioactives from microbial or yeast fermentation systems
- Experience in operation of stirred tank bioreactors to maximise biologics production
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements. Additional provision of working with children check will be required prior to confirmation of appointment.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
06 June 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 06 Jun 2022
- VIC - Clayton
- AU$66k - AU$84k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time