Senior Research Software Engineer - [Archived Advertisement]
Senior Research Software Engineer
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our?vision towards reconciliation.
- Lead the delivery of research software development activities
- Be a part of the Energy Systems team within CSIRO
- Create a dynamic career path in this exciting role
CSIRO Energy is playing a key role in Australia’s energy transition. With work spanning from energy efficiency in buildings to the operation of electricity systems, the CSIRO team works across a large range of industries and application domains. Our research includes establishing costs of different technology pathways and modelling different future scenarios - this is often a contentious area and the successful candidate will lead stakeholder discussions and communicate this research.
As the Senior Research Software Engineer, you will be responsible for leading the delivery of research software development activities in within the CSIRO Energy Systems program. This will include managing and leading improvements to the software development cycle, including ensuring appropriate versioning, commenting, documentation and testing.
You will work with internal and external stakeholders to scope research software projects, develop implementation pathways and lead implementation activities.
This role is offered on a full-time or part-time (minimum 0.8 FTE) basis.
Your duties will include:
- Leading the design and development of research software projects, including development of internal capability for technology trials at scale, particularly with distribution network operators.
- Working closely with stakeholders to establish their software requirements and meet their scientific goals.
- Setting clear expectations around data quality to all stakeholders, particularly in the early stages of projects with large & complex datasets.
- Deploy, maintain, and support applications, web services, and cloud development platforms in support of scientific projects
- Ensuring the software development cycle is managed carefully, including appropriate commenting and documentation, and particularly field testing for projects which require interfacing with equipment in the field.
- Work with program leadership and the development team on a strategy for continuous improvement in the quality of software deliverables.
- Providing coaching, on-the-job training and instruction to colleagues, on activities pertaining to software development to ensure upskilling of staff.
- Participating in developing the strategic direction of research software engineering at CSIRO
Location: Newcastle, NSW preferred, other locations negotiable
Salary: AU$117k to AU$138k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% super
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa (sponsorship may be provided to eligible candidates).
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
To be considered you will need:
- A bachelors degree in software engineering / computer science or equivalent industry experience
- Demonstrated experience designing, developing and deploying large, complex software systems
- Experience with best practice software development methodologies and tools including source control (Git), test-driven development, continuous integration, continuous deployment
- Evidence of use of industry standard software processes for code quality, change management and data science model delivery, deployment and ongoing maintenance, preferably including experience with .Net, C and Python.
- Demonstrated experience in mentoring, project leadership and/or technical leadership.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
17 February 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 17 Feb 2022
- AU$117k to AU$138k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time