Senior Data Engineer - [Archived Advertisement]
Senior Data Engineer
- Don't join for a job, join for a career!
- Develop impactful technology spanning a range of domains
- Supportive, rewarding, inclusive, and truly flexible environment.
The Senior Data Engineer designs, develops, deploys and maintains data pipelines in cloud products and services. These applications are prototypes and products that make economic, environmental and societal impact through digital delivery of CSIRO’s research and technology. Data pipelines include batch and streaming data, data transformation and deployed algorithms, including machine learning classifiers.
Your duties will include:
- Design, develop, deploy and maintain machine learning data pipelines on internal and cloud infrastructure.
- Create and validate machine learning algorithms, including data cleaning, transformation, feature engineering, hyperparameter tuning, performance validation, scaling and monitoring.
- Review and guide software architecture and development by outsourced and junior software engineers.
- Contribute to CSIRO’s engineering discipline by promoting the effective the use of software development tools, practices and culture.
- Represent the organisation in external scientific or technological forums as required and may establish and lead such forums.
- Communicate openly, effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed delivery team to carry out tasks in support of CSIRO’s scientific objectives.
- Adhere to the spirit and practice of CSIRO’s Values, Code of Conduct, Health, Safety and Environment procedures and policy, Diversity initiatives and Making Safety Personal goals.
- Other duties as directed.
Location: Sydney, NSW; Canberra, ACT or Brisbane, QLD
Salary: AU$100k - AU$128k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in software engineering.
- Deep expertise in developing and deploying cloud software.
- Proven expertise in the creation and deployment of machine learning algorithms.
- Experience mentoring junior software developers.
- A minimum of 4 years of commercial software development experience.
- Demonstrated experience with contemporary software development tools and practices: version control, unit testing, automated testing, issue tracking.
- Sound interpersonal skills as evidenced by the ability to work effectively and collaboratively within and across teams.
- Good judgment as applied to the identification and successful resolution of complex (technical and non-technical) problems and issues.
- Expertise in a range of machine learning frameworks such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, Keras, scikit.learn, pandas
- Varied programming language paradigms, including object oriented and functional
- Cloud DevOps and container technologies
- Design and use of REST APIs
- Reactive programming
- Relational, NoSQL, time series and spatial databases
- Message queues (Kafka, Kinesis, MQTT, RabbitMQ)
- Databases (SQL and NoSQL, time-series, administration, performance tuning, schema design and modelling, stored procedures, triggers, clustering, query design and evaluation)
- Continuous integration/continuous deployment (Jenkins, Gitlab, Buildkite)
- Agile project management
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
19 September 2021, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 19 Sep 2021
- AU$100k - AU$128k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time