Mechanical/Electrical Laboratory and Pilot Plant Engineer - [Archived Advertisement]
Mechanical/Electrical Laboratory and Pilot Plant Engineer
- Immerse Yourself in an Inclusive Culture
- Use your Skills and Make an Impact on CSIROs Agriculture and Food!
- Join CSIRO - Australia's Premier Science and Technology Research Organisation
This new position will enable us to grow our capacity when it comes to creating end-to-end food manufacturing projects at the Werribee Food Processing Centre. This position will work as part of the Engineering team in various research activities as well as in the Food Processing Pilot Plant located on the Melbourne site and occasionally in Brisbane. The Engineer will run pilot plant operations, as well as modifications and maintenance (mechanically and electrically) to existing and new pilot plant food manufacturing equipment. There is also an ongoing need to support scientists in developing/modifying novel laboratory or pilot scale food processing equipment while also supporting laboratory staff with their mechanical/electrical or processing requirements. The individual must be willing to learn unit operations at various scales (laboratory, pilot and industrial) to support the food processing plant and scaling up activities.
Your duties will include:
- Under general direction from the Research/Process Engineer, taking responsibility for the efficient allocation of activities including planning, resource management, scheduling, and providing direction on the operation, modification, design and fabrication of equipment and food processes at laboratory and pilot scale.
- Undertaking upgrades and maintenance of a wide range of pilot plant systems, in particular; electrical, mechanical and process control hardware and software.
- Conducting CAPEX assessments and reviews of new equipment to ensure they meet specifications and standards.
- Adapting and/or developing original experimental methods, equipment, software, concepts and ideas in support of existing and further research, promptly addressing where methods may not be defined, and initiative is required in seeking new approaches to meet experimental and/or technological needs.
- Providing coaching, on-the-job training and instruction to colleagues.
- Communicating openly, effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Working collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed research team, and business unit to carry out tasks in support of CSIRO’s scientific objectives.
- Prioritising tasks, owning responsibilities and controlling time allocations into various tasks and projects and communicating effectively across teams to ensure highly collaborative teamwork and role clarity.
Location: Werribee, VIC
Salary: AU$83K - AU$90K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite (Full-time)
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Aeronautic Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, or a Certificate 3 – Unrestricted A Grade Electrical licence and/or equivalent experience in the food industry.
- A sound understanding and demonstrated capability in electrical/electronic control systems.
- Extensive knowledge of process control hardware and software and automation experience in an operations setting.
- Experience with mechanical and/or electrical maintenance of pilot scale food processing equipment and/or laboratory equipment.
- Proven capacity to assume responsibility for the execution, scheduling, planning and completion of a range of research and development projects.
- Experience planning and managing activities, and working effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team and carrying out tasks under general inputs and/or direction from Scientific Researchers and Engineers.
- Ability and aptitude to proactively contribute novel ideas and approaches in support of scientific and engineering investigations in food processing.
- Willing and able to work in a food processing environment which can be noisy and require heavy lifting at times.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check as well as undertaking a pre-employment medical prior to commencement.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
23:59 AEDT 31st January 2021
- Closing Date:
- 31 Jan 2021
- VIC - Werribee
- AU$83K - AU$90K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time