Research Projects - Experimental food tech with material understanding - [Archived Advertisement]
Research Projects - Experimental food tech with material understanding
- Immerse Yourself in an Inclusive Culture
- Use your Skills and Make an Impact on CSIROs Agriculture and Food!
- Join CSIRO - Australia's Premier Science and Technology Research Organisation
The role of the Experimental Food Technologist in CSIRO will be to collaborate with other Scientists, Engineers and Food Processing staff in innovative research leading to commercial; and scientific achievements, which are aligned with CSIRO's strategies. The position will be engaged in hands-on project activities of CSIRO’s Food Innovation Centre which involves both close-to-market research for local and international food manufacturing industry clients as well as more strategic research projects. You will be supported with career development and will have the opportunity to build research and industry networks and to play a lead role in securing project funds and project delivery of the centre.
In this position, you will lead or contribute to projects or project activities and work with world-class scientists and engineers to develop safe and novel foods, ingredients and beverages for the Australian food industry and global consumers.
Your duties will include:
- Under general direction from Research/Process Engineers and or Project Leaders, taking responsibility for the efficient allocation of activities including planning, resource management, scheduling, and providing direction on the operation, modification, design and fabrication of equipment and food processes at laboratory and pilot scale.
- Incorporating novel ideas and approaches in investigations by adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas for new, existing and future research.
- Developing agreed concepts in food science, food technology, and product development at laboratory scale and sometimes involving translation to pilot scale.
- Working collaboratively and honestly with internal and external colleagues, clients and partners to help define and satisfy objectives for a range of research projects.
- Providing coaching and on-the-job training to technical staff and students to ensure experiments are established in accordance with research design.
- Undertaking CAPEX assessments and reviews of new equipment to ensure they meet specifications and standards.
- Communicating openly, effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
Location: Werribee, VIC
Salary: AU$83K - AU$94K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years (Full-time)
To be considered you will need:
- A relevant bachelor’s degree in Food Science and Technology or a related field (e.g. Food Chemistry, Food Process Engineering, Food Materials Science) as well as extensive professional experience in food research and development including postgraduate research or food industry experience.
- Proven ability to contribute to the development of new food products from a variety of food materials (including proteins) at laboratory scale or at pilot scale.
- Demonstrated ability to operate and maintain complex laboratory equipment including food unit operations aimed at size reduction, separation, extraction, evaporation, drying or others.
- Proven ability to measure composition and quality attributes of food ingredients and food products and to attribute the measured features to product formulation or processing.
- Demonstrated ability to manage own work priorities to execute multi-disciplinary experimental plans at laboratory or pilot scale with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated track record in taking responsibility for the execution, scheduling, planning or completion of a range of project activities.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills and proven ability to contribute to project proposals, funding applications, technical project reports, stakeholder presentations or research/technical papers.
- Proven ability to work effectively with colleagues, students and clients and as part of multi-disciplinary teams whilst building cooperation, trust and belonging.
- Ability and aptitude to proactively contribute ideas and approaches in support of scientific and engineering investigations in projects or in food technology.
- To be willing and able to as required work in a food processing environment.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
23:59 AEDT 2nd February 2021
- Closing Date:
- 02 Feb 2021
- VIC - Werribee
- AU$83K - AU$94K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: