- Work in a team developing sophisticated ambitious open source projects
- Utilise your expertise to deliver products that will benfit the Australian government and other key stakeholders globally
- Join CSIRO Data61's team, the largest data innovation group in Australia
Building on our success with TerriaJS, we are currently designing and building a new open data platform that will have real impact for the Australian government and for others around the world. We are seeking a creative and adaptable full-stack software engineer to join the team, to build elegant solutions to unsolved problems, to take ownership of their area, and to learn and grow to their full potential. We work in an open, collaborative environment with flexible working hours and a culture of trust and individual empowerment.
Specifically you will:
- Be the key liaison point for discussions with clients throughout the project (projects are typically conducted using an agile approach and frequent client involvement is critical to success).
- Manage project deliverables and milestones, which include software, hardware and data analysis reports.
- Oversee delivery of service level agreements for operational web services.
- Manage project timelines and agile boards (with input from project staff, clients and other stakeholders).
- Provide progress reports for management and for clients.
- Manage the measurement of project success or otherwise (including managing the setting of indicators of success, monitoring the project while underway and including results in reports).
- Coordinate (and chair, if appropriate) project meetings, including meetings with clients, workshops and technical discussion meetings.
- Ensure roles on the project are clear to project team members.
- Manage project staff allocation and project finances using internal systems.
- Manage supplier relationships, including supplier contracts.
- Liaise with internal teams in areas such as business development, product management, legal, user experience, research and engineering.
- Contribute to Data61's engineering discipline by improving use of software development tools, practices and culture.
- Maintain high ethical and performance standards.
Location: Eveleigh, NSW
Salary: AUD $95k - $103k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will:
- Have the ability to think creatively, prototype new ideas, and see them through to production.
- Be comfortable working with HTML, CSS and SVG.
- Have experience with Scala or Node.js on the backend.
- Have experience with one or more front-end frameworks: React, Redux, Angular, Knockout, D3, etc.
- Have knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Have the ability to take ownership of projects, provide technical direction, and present ideas and foster creativity in others.
- Collaborate and grow with a multidisciplinary, regionally dispersed software engineering team.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! CSIRO Balance
CSIRO’s Data61 business unit is the largest data innovation group in Australia, bringing together approximately 600 research and development staff working in digital technologies to create benefit for Australia. Data61 develops Australia's future leaders with its strong 300+ PhD student program in collaboration with our best universities across Australia.
Our commitment to you
CSIRO’s Data61 offers an open and supportive workplace, where employee wellbeing is a top priority. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive workplace by focusing on gender equality, support and development of women in leadership, increasing the employment of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders whilst supporting the LGBTI community and other diverse backgrounds.
CSIRO’s Data61 offers a range of flexible working opportunities, including part-time and job share arrangements, to provide you with work/life balance. We emphasise an individual’s growth and development which is supported by interacting and learning from world leading scientists and engineers, who provide the opportunity to challenge, transform and innovate new ideas.
CSIRO’s Data61 is committed to sourcing the brightest and best talent to become part of the Data61 family that contributes to creating Australia’s data driven future.
How to Apply: If you wish to apply for this position, please upload 1 document only containing your covering letter and resume that best demonstrates your ability to meet the requirements of the role.
Before you apply please view the full position description and selection criteria here: Position Details
Applications will remain open until filled, however we encourage you to submit your application by 22 August 2017 as we will interview suitable candidates from that date onwards - We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.