Senior Robotics Software Engineer - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO - Data61 (View other jobs from this organisation)
Senior Robotics Software Engineer
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO’s Data61 is the digital technologies and data science arm of Australia’s national science agency. With around 400 staff and another 300 affiliate staff, Data61 represents one of the largest collections of R&D expertise in artificial intelligence, data science, cybersecurity, robotics, and software engineering in the world. With a focus on impact-driven science and technology, Data61 works across disciplines and industry sectors to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges through digital R&D.
- Join CSIRO and support Australia's premier scientific organisation!
- Flexible work arrangements! Mix of home and office.
- Supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
This position is for a senior software engineer to design and develop software in the Robotics and Autonomous Systems (RAS) Group. Development work will focus on our robotic navigation software stack that provides path planning, obstacle avoidance and navigation behaviours for ground-based robots. This navigation stack is tested on our robot fleet of legged and tracked robots and also supports research in areas including navigation in complex environments, robot-world interaction and human robot teaming.
Your duties will include:
- Analysis of complex navigation problems for ground robots
- Working with the internal team and external partners to identify and propose new navigation capabilities
- Assessing and selecting potential algorithms and techniques to achieve the capabilities
- Implementing capabilities in C++ and Python
- Integrating the novel solutions into the navigation stack
- Maintaining effective test and deployment workflows including robotic simulations
- Conducting testing and evaluation of the software running on robots
- Structuring software to facilitate efficient operation on robots of different configurations
- Planning and prioritising software development activities
Location: Pullenvale, QLD
Salary: AU$117k - AU$138k per annum plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering, computer science or equivalent
- Professional software development experience with demonstrated high level expertise in C++
- Experience leading software development projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience defining and implementing path planning algorithms or other navigation behaviours
- Software development experience with ROS (Robot Operating System)
- Experience working with sensors such as LIDAR, radar, depth cameras and acoustics for obstacle perception
- Implementing algorithms to use parallelisation such as GPU programming in CUDA and OpenCL
- Embedded Linux configuration and deployment
- Using docker for code development, building and deployment
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
To enter a CSIRO site, CSIRO will require you to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (or show a valid medical exemption from vaccination). If you are unable to meet this requirement, then you must return a negative result on a Rapid Antigen Test (within 48 hours prior to attending site) and wear a face mask whilst on the CSIRO site. These requirements apply if you are attending a CSIRO site as part of a recruitment process.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Sunday 16th October 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 16 Oct 2022
- QLD - Pullenvale
- AU$117k - AU$138k per annum plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time