- Are you ready for the next step in your career?
- Work with world class researchers to solve the world’s biggest challenges
- Join CSIRO's Data61 - Australia's largest data innovation group
This role will see you working as a senior back-end developer and dev-ops practitioner within a software engineering team, working on projects in transport and data city domains, and leveraging the innovation and talent of the Transport Analytics group. This role will particularly focus on Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) and Digital Twin (DTw) projects, including the maintenance and development of existing SHM platforms, data services, predictive maintenance services, and web dashboards, as well as potentially contributing to new product development for government, industry or community.
We are seeking a strong back-end developer, preferably with experience in modern web service technologies, big data and streaming data integrations, as well as cloud dev-ops. The right candidate should have a passion for sharing, learning and contributing to a healthy software engineering culture.
Your duties will include
- Design and develop software modules for researchers and clients, with a focus on back-end web services, data processing pipelines and applied machine learning
- Contribute to the maintenance, development and operation of Structural Health Monitoring / IoT platforms
- Review security and quality of software
- Write and maintain tests
For appointment at the higher salary level (CSOF6), duties will also include:
- Take a leading role in the improvement of existing Structural Health Monitoring platforms, and the design and roll-out of future SHM/IoT platforms
- Contribute to dev-ops tooling and take responsibility of some operational aspects supporting SDLC and platform delivery, e.g. CI, deployments and monitoring
- Assist with the development of project proposals or solution designs, including requirements gathering, solution architecture, negotiation of resources and effort estimations
- Liaise with researchers, vendors and clients to ensure solution design and delivery meets all stakeholder expectations
Location: Eveleigh, NSW
Salary: AU$98k - AU$106k plus up to 15.4% superannuation (CSOF5), AU$113k - AU$132k plus up to 15.4% superannuation (CSOF6)
To be successful you will need
- Solid engineering and software development skills, with experience writing scalable, high performance, production quality code
- Proficient back end development, e.g. Python, Java, Scala, Ruby or equivalent
- Experience with REST API design and development, preferably using Spring Boot framework
- Experience with contributing to the development, deployment and operation of microservices architectures
- Proficient with data storage and processing, for example: PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Kafka, Spark, Flink, Hadoop
- Good command of software development life cycles and experience in designing, building, testing and delivering reusable and extensible commercial products
Additional essential criteria for CSOF6 appointment:
- Experience with big data architectures (particularly time-series data) and processing big data in batch and streaming applications;
- Experience with production deployments and operational considerations within cloud and hybrid cloud environments;
- Working knowledge of networking and security in hybrid cloud platforms;
- Experience with dev-op tools and their application to continuous integration and deployments, e.g. Docker, Continuous Integration/Delivery, Infrastructure-as-code, AWS cloud SDK
- Demonstrated success with leading the design, development and delivery of complex software projects.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish - D&I Strategy
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
Who we are
CSIRO’s Data61 business unit is the largest data innovation group in Australia, bringing together approximately 600 research and development staff working in digital technologies to create benefit for Australia. Data61 develops Australia's future leaders with its strong 300+ PhD student program in collaboration with our best universities across Australia.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Sunday 22nd December, 2019