- Are you an experienced and motivated software engineer?
- Make a difference with your effective and efficient support
- Join CSIRO's Data61 - Australia's largest data innovation group
Data61's Protari software allows users to query confidential unit record datasets (e.g. covering individuals, households, or businesses), while maintaining privacy by "confidentialising" the results on-the-fly. The software has both an easy-to-use interface, and a simple API which enables easy integration from researcher's code or other applications. The confidentialisation process currently uses published algorithms, but our goal is to utilise cutting-edge Data61 privacy research.
Your duties will include
- Design and build APIs and ensure their implementation is secure, efficient and maintainable.
- Take (possibly incompletely defined) problems and structure them in code.
- Think creatively, prototype new ideas and see them through to production, while working to deadlines.
- Always consider the goals and requirements of users, including the software developer users of APIs.
- Work with customers and partners to understand their needs and make sure they are met.
- Collaborate with engineering, research, UI/UX and business teams.
- Experiment with technologies, evaluate them and present the results.
Location: Sydney, NSW (preferred) or Canberra, ACT (negotiable)
Salary: CSOF4 - AU $80,833 to AU $91,451 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
CSOF5 - AU $97,276 to AU $105,269 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: specified term of 2 years
To be successful you will need
- Bachelor degree in a scientific or engineering discipline such as Computer Science OR equivalent commercial experience in software engineering.
- At least 2 years' experience developing in Python.
- Willingness to use concepts from functional programming such as immutability and static typing.
- A history of developing robust and secure applications. (We love code examples – please send us anything you have developed that we can look at, eg. open source projects.)
- Ability to collaborate and grow with a multidisciplinary, regionally dispersed software engineering team.
Additional essential criteria for CSOF5 Appointment:
- At least 4 years’ experience developing in Python.
- Specific experience in REST API design, implementation and delivery using current web server development tools and methodologies.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position description
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
Who we are
CSIRO’s Data61 business unit is the largest data innovation group in Australia, bringing together approximately 600 research and development staff working in digital technologies to create benefit for Australia. Data61 develops Australia's future leaders with its strong 300+ PhD student program in collaboration with our best universities across Australia.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Thursday, 18th April 2019