The Australian Road Research Board (ARRB) is beginning the search to attract world-class experts, to add to our existing pool of intellectual excellence. We want the best of the best to join us in our vision; to drive innovation to deliver an adaptable connected future for all Australians. We are growing our intellectual base by building our capacity in fields of critical importance to the road and transport industry, recognising that there are some significant emerging challenges that require deep thinkers, who can provide solutions to complex problems.
Established in 1960, ARRB is a national interest, applied research organisation. We are the enablers of next-generation development of transportation, across Australia and globally.
As one of our team, you will work alongside internationally recognised experts, and assist in the discovery and creation of new innovations as part of our journey and mission. Our workplace:
ARRB is a dynamic and vibrant organisation providing exciting opportunities for people to do great things, to peruse the big research questions, and to see the fruits of that research being practically applied.
Our staff operate within a contemporary workplace with multi-disciplinary teams with highly evolved skills. Here, innovation can be fostered and nurtured - enabling true collaboration. About the role and you:
We seek an accomplished, experienced and agile Principal Research Engineer, Pavements and Surfacings, with a strong background in asphalt technology, to join our Research Division in Brisbane, Queensland. In this key specialist position, you must be capable and enthusiastic about delivering practical applied research, consulting and training solutions to challenges faced by Australasian road agencies in addition to other national and international partners.
This position is required to locally lead and deliver a long-term program of National Asset Centre of Excellence (NACoE) projects in applied research and innovation by utilising our world-class laboratories and accelerated pavement testing technologies. As a highly developed pavement materials/design engineer, you will be able to utilise your in-depth knowledge in materials technology to produce better, value-for-money outcomes. The outcome-focused research is targeted at delivering innovation, facilitating private sector participation and embracing more efficient road management practice through the implementation of fit-for-purpose engineering solutions. In this position you will:
We are seeking an individual with:
- Initiate ideas, develop proposals, identify and secure work opportunities whilst undertaking research projects for international, national, state and local road agencies
- Contribute to the provision of pavement materials technology services to clients in Queensland and Australia nationally
- Deliver a wide range of research projects in the pavements materials and surfacings technical areas
- Develop solutions to identify cost savings for clients - in both the short and long term
- Achieve quantifiable and implementable outcomes.
What we offer:
- Civil Engineering degree, a Masters of Engineering Science degree or a relevant Ph.D. (a higher research degree is desirable but not essential)
- Significant research work experience (min. 10 years) in asphalt technology
- Innovative engineering ideas with an awareness of best practice internationally
- Sound report writing prowess, together with advanced verbal communication and polished presentation skills
- Strong desire to further develop skills and capabilities to an expert level with proven business development and client engagement skills
- Eligibility for MIEAust, CPEng and RPEQ.
An exciting, dynamic and collaborative workplace with challenging roles, where your skills, knowledge and experience will be recognised and respected, including:
To be considered:
- Opportunities to contribute to high-profile and interesting projects
- Generous relocation package on offer, if applicable
- A healthy work-life balance, with flexible options
- Monthly accrued day off (RDO)
- Salary packaging and purchase option for additional annual leave
- Paid parental and partner leave
- Additional leave days over end-of-year holiday period
- Strong support for career development and further study.
Please press the "APPLY" button in this job advertisement. Alternatively, for a confidential conversation, please contact Human Resources in Melbourne. Please note
that unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted.